Delicate talk about intact male

Discussion of behavior issues, training and solutions here....

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Re: Delicate talk about intact male

Postby Cindy » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:10 pm

I miss your sense of humor - you should check in more often :lol: :lol:
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby Muddy Creek Britts » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:29 pm

Hey, Barb, does your friend's poodle's "condition" have a name? Think I'm gonna get a doctor's note for that. Tracy needs a new duty. ;)
Brian
Muddy Creek Britts
"When a dog runs at you, whistle for him." ~~Henry David Thoreau
Muddy Creek Britts
Zinger
Zinger

Postby adele » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:08 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Barb Wright » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:32 pm

Muddy Creek Britts wrote:Hey, Barb, does your friend's poodle's "condition" have a name? ....

Well, this is an edit to an unhelpful answer I gave, which I decided to delete. Not nice to make fun of what is probably an uncomfortable situation for the poor dog :cry: Anyway, the actual medical term for the inability to sheath is called Paraphimosis. With an elderly dog.....this poodle was around 12 years old......it sometimes is just that the sheath has lost elasticity to a certain extent and there is really not much to be done about it.

Don't suppose that helps you much with your hopeful plan Brian :P :P There's an anatomical difference unfortunately and you're going to have to come up with another scheme :P
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby duckypond1 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:05 am

I thought Id throw in my short experience too.

Jeice is now 11 months old, he was neutered a few days before I adopted him from the rescue at 3 months old (12 weeks). I have never seen his penis the entire time I have had him, however, we did have a major problem with humping from 5 to 9 months old, which as I got him trained on the E-collar I was able to control a bit more, and we are able to keep his humping to a very small minimum, and I correct it quickly when I see it. He also marks outside constantly, I kept hearing that only intact males mark, well, not the case in my situation. There was even an unfortunate event where a careless owner brought their female labrador to the park while she was in heat. Jeice could not leave her alone. He didn't penetrate, but I had to physically pick him up and take him out of the dog park, the collar, leash, and verbal commands had no effect on him AT ALL.

So a lot of the typical things that I hear neutering solves seem to still present themselves in my pup. I firmly believe that much of the humping and marking is more of just an excitement and instinctual thing than anything hormonal, or I could just have the backwards dog. That is just what I have witnessed in the last 8 months personally.
Jeice Image and Tucker Image
duckypond1
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Postby adele » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:56 am

Ya that humping thing isn't always about sex. The only thing I've seen Tramp hump was a cat :roll: :lol: At the kennel recently I saw a congo line of 4 dogs all in a row humping the one in front. After she stopped laughing the kennel lady put a stop to it but we did have a good laugh.
adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby PCTech01 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:20 pm

I gotta get out of the GENERAL section more often :D ! A very interesting read about "Big Bad Boy Brits", particularly from the female perspective! :roll: :roll:
PCTech01
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Previous

Return to Behavior