Anxiety? Seizure?

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Anxiety? Seizure?

Postby SPMiller » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:43 pm

Victor is a 12.75 yo neutered Brit. In June of this year he started having what looked like an anxiety attacks. The first episode lasted 4 hours. A trip to the vet seemed to indicate it was a response to pain [deep pocket behind the last molar which was removed]. Post surgery he continued to have sudden onset episodes of heavy panting, significant shaking, apparent hallucinations, signs of fear, and pacing. Trazadone was administered over the next 4 days and the episodes subsided.

He has had occasional episodes since then, mostly sudden onset and generally at evening time.
Trazadone took care of the issue initially but with diminishing effectiveness.

Last Saturday, an episode began and we have been dealing with it ever since. Trazadone has been increased from 50mg/day to 200mg/day. Trazadone has no longer has any apparent effect. He sleeps during the day but around 4pm something triggers an episode which continues for most of the night.

So the question is... my vet does not think he is having seizures. I am looking for medication that will either control/prevent these episodes or address the issue at the time an episode occurs. Does anyone have any insight, advice, or experience with this?
SPMiller
Puppy

Re: Anxiety? Seizure?

Postby gagesbarb » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:58 am

So sorry to hear about Victor...we all know how worrIed you feel...I don't really know about the seizure idea, but each episode does seem to be going on a long time...I wonder about that cognitive disorder...forget what it is called...dog Alzeimers in a way...since it seems to happen when it's getting darker...like the "sundown" effect (increased confusion, dis-orientation) that people with dementia can get...we have a couple of vet specialty groups here and we have taken cats and dogs there when faced with confusing problems to get another opinion.
Please let us know how things go...I just hate it when our babies are sick or hurt...
gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby SPMiller » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:25 pm

Had an emergency vet consult last night as the last 'episode' lasted from 4:30pm til 9:30pm; even after administering 150mg of Trazadone. I took Victor with me to the consult just to give hubby and our other dog some relief from the episode. A short distance down the road and Victor was calm and laying down in the crate. He has not had another episode since then and no medication has been given. I got Valium from the vet to administer as needed. We are considering a CAT scan to see if there is a physical reason for these episodes. I suspect 'sundowners'/cognitive dysfunction has occurred but wonder if there isn't more.
SPMiller
Puppy

Postby gagesbarb » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:04 pm

So hard to deal with...sounds like a great idea to get to the specialty vets and get more information...I do wonder about how suddenly this came on and agree with your instinct that something else may be going on...if they do decide it is dog "alzeimers," I think there are specific meds for that...as in people, won't cure, but maybe helps dog be more comfortable, and then you can be more comfortable.
Thanks for letting us know what is happening! We'll be sending good thoughts that this gets figured out and Victor feels better...
please let us know
gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby SPMiller » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:08 pm

Victor was normal for over 24 hours without meds. He was sleeping soundly when our other dog began 'alert barking' to who knows what last night at about 10:30pm. It startled Victor awake and he began a mild episode of shaking and being afraid of unseen things. We went to bed and Victor tried to calm but after an hour was still on alert and shaking. I administered a small dose of Valium [his first dose] and shortly thereafter, he slept. He stayed on the bed, laying on me, most of the night. That's unusual. But he did sleep. Today he is his normal, bright, Brittany self. He does startle easily when the other dog suddenly barks. However, it is much better than the 6-hour panic episodes. :)
SPMiller
Puppy

Postby gagesbarb » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:01 am

Just wondered how Victor is doing?
gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby SPMiller » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:13 am

Thanks for asking. :D So far, he has needed only 2 doses of Valium since 12/30/17; each almost 48 hours apart. So far we are over the 48 hour mark with no episodes. I am considering a consult with a homeopathic vet, however, given the weather in our part of the country it may have to wait a few weeks before I can safely travel the distance.
SPMiller
Puppy

Postby gagesbarb » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:04 am

so glad to hear Victor is doing better and that hopefully, you've found something (valium) that can help him when he has an episode...so hard when you don't know exactly what is causing the problem in the first place...we've been there several times over the years with our dogs and cats...I guess ruling things out is helpful and I've found that sometimes, the only thing you can do is wait and observe...

please check in periodically to let us know how Victor is doing and what you are learning...
gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby gagesbarb » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:44 pm

Just wondered how Victor is doing and if you've figured anything more out about what was going on with him?
gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby SPMiller » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:39 pm

Took Victor to a homeopathic vet who feels Victor's kidneys are not working properly. The homeopathic meds for calming work quite well; however, I am hoping to find the underlying cause for the anxiety. He is on several homeopathic renal support meds as of last Wednesday. I thought he was improving but today he had an increase in the itchy groin area which is usually a precursor to anxiety and despite treating the area with ointment and giving a natural cortisone capsule, he still had an anxiety episode. The saga continues...
SPMiller
Puppy

Postby gagesbarb » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:23 am

Thanks for checking in and giving us an update...didn't realize itchiness was a part of the picture...a rash? My husband just had to go to the ER with what we worried was his heart, but turned out to be an allergic reaction to ibuprofin :shock: symptoms included heart racing, flushing, fingers tingling, breathing issues and a rash...he felt anxious, partly, obviously because it was scarey, and partly because of the sympathetic nervous system reactions. (He is fine now) My husband has allergies to weird things (citric acid-it is used as a preservative and is in lots of things, food dyes). He has taken ibuprofin his whole life without a problem; the allergist says sensitivity can come and go :roll:
The only reason I bring this up is I wonder if Victor is eating something that is irritating his system and adding to his anxiety...I would think the homeopathic vet went over what he's eating, and I am certainly not a doctor/vet, but I'm just wondering...Barb knows a lot about food...wonder if she has thoughts?
gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Return to Health/Medical