weird episode

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

weird episode

Postby gagesbarb » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:11 am

Couple weeks ago, Gage had a different kind of weird episode. (Gage is 13 or so, has chronic bronchitis and another weird thing where when he starts to cough, he can faint...however, if I catch it, I can "distract" him with petting or treat and it will stop...vet says it is a neurological, vagal nerve thing...cardiology vet diagnosed all this...has a name...something tussis). Anyway, he's been stable with his issues...happy, energetic, great appetite, walks 2-3 miles without problem. I came home from work, put his harness on to take him out, and he suddenly became very agitated, running around the house, up and down stairs, and was "out of it." I grabbed him, and he didn't seem to even be aware of me...couldn't distract him with food or anything...seizure like but went on and on...after about 10 minutes, I rushed him to vet...took me 15-20 minutes to get there and by that time, he couldn't walk...he had heat stroke (?) though not from being in the heat (He'd been inside in air conditioning). They saved him, did x rays, blood test but nothing wrong. Vet thinks probably some neurological thing started the agitation, then resulted in temperature dysregulation...he said only further test would be MRI but we're not going to do that because wouldn't help with treatment...Gage is on Theophylline and his dose is on the high side; vet said that agitation is a side effect of theophylline and it happened about the time the meds would be at peak so on the off chance that contributed, we lowered it a little bit just in case...no breathing problems with lower dose. We stayed home with him for several days and he was fine...now back in normal routine, and so far, he's back to his usual self...if happens again, I'm to rush him to ER vet (where his cardiologist is)...of course, I was so scared we were losing him...best guess is he's about 13, so...but he's happy so that's what I'm trying to focus on...

Anyone ever had any experience like this or thoughts about it? thanks...
gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Re: weird episode

Postby Cindy » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:51 am

I wasn't home when something "kind of similar" happened with Kayla. John told me that she started running frantically around the house and bumping into things. He couldn't get her to calm down so let her out where she ran absolutely crazily around the yard while he tried to catch her. He finally did so put her in the crate and rushed to the vet. By the time he got there she had calmed down and seemed OK. They kept her for observation for the rest of the day and it never happened again. They didn't mention heat stroke so we never really had any kind of diagnosis.
She wasn't on any kind of drugs so we don't know exactly what happened. She did have vestibular disease but that didn't seem to have anything to do with it except that she was less steady on her feet as she ran around. VERY WEIRD and VERY SCARY!
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Re: weird episode

Postby gagesbarb » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:11 am

Gage has been at baseline until last night...in the middle of the night, I woke up as he was moving around; he couldn't seem to settle...we got up and he was staggering around, bumping into things, falling over...I carried him downstairs and rushed to ER...carried him in and they took him to the back...by that time, he had recovered...no staggering or anything unusual...temp was normal...Dr said was probably neurological, though could be "pain," or anxiety...Dr. didn't mention the vestibular disease that Kayla had...Gage can get anxious, but this was not anxiety...he wasn't just restless...I don't think it was pain, either...when they brought him back out to us, he was trotting, wagging his tail...Dr. suggested we see cardiologist again in case something with his heart was causing him to throw little clots which caused stroke...so I have a call in to his cardiologist...also called my regular vet and will ask about vestibular disease...this was a different kind of thing than the agitation a couple of weeks ago...also, he has had diarrhea a couple of times this week, but I cut back on food and doesn't continue..don't know if/how all this is related and I'm thinking we may just have to watch and wait...sigh...I continue to try to focus on the fact that he is not uncomfortable (as best I can tell) and still seems his usual happy self...
gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Return to Health/Medical