so what is everyone feeding these days?

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

so what is everyone feeding these days?

Postby MaggieRocks » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:31 am

We've used Taste of the Wild for years now. Read the reports of potential heart problems with grain free food, read many rebuttals. Am now considering changing foods for Emma because in all of that reading, if I understand correctly, grain free foods also tend to be higher in calories? Emma definitely looks heavier than she used to (and I mostly blame my husband for giving her too much table food!) I think she is relatively active for an 11 year old dog but let's face it-she is no longer 2, or even 8 years old, and she has slowed down a bit.

Does anyone use a food specifically formulated for senior dogs? Any thoughts? One of the vets we see recommended Purina ProPlan Bright Minds for Sammy a few years ago, and I'm wondering if anyone else has used it?
MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Re: so what is everyone feeding these days?

Postby Cindy » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:47 pm

My vet recommended the Purina Proplan Bright Minds when Kayla was having her "senior issues" but I never switched. I, too, am still feeding Taste of the Wild but continue to read about the so called issues with grain free dry foods. I have a vet appointment for Pippa next week and will ask my vet for her opinion. But right now I'm sticking with TOTW and feel like the jury is still out. Layla is 10 and seems to have filled out a bit but she's still VERY active and I have a sneaking suspicion that John is making extra trips to CVS and the bank where they always get treats!!
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Re: so what is everyone feeding these days?

Postby patti » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:04 pm

I also just switched to TOTW, about two months ago, due to Shiloh not wanting to eat.(had been on Canadae for most of her 11 years!) She has also finally slowed down! Hadn’t noticed her putting on weight, so far, but I did cut back a tiny bit of her servings! Hopefully , it’s all fake news!!
patti
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Return to Health/Medical