Prozac for Dogs

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Prozac for Dogs

Postby patti » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:55 am

Hi
Haven't posted for a long time, but have some questions re Prozac for Dogs. First a little background info. Shiloh is 11 1/2 and has developed severe Noise Aversion for the past few years-first just to fireworks, but now it's everything from smoke detectors to squeaky shoes on the tile! The least little high pitched noise sends her
into a full panic attack. Took her to the Vet yesterday and she suggested Prozac. Shiloh did exhibit anxiety while at the Vet, so she saw first hand what it was like(only a milder form of it) Was wondering if any of you have tried Prozac on your dogs, and if it helped! She said it will take about a month to kick in! Thanks for your help!
patti
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Re: Prozac for Dogs

Postby Cindy » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:15 pm

My friend has used it with her German Shepherd (or corgi - can't remember which dog) who has noise phobias. As I recall it was effective but I can double check with her if you want.

UPDATE:. I asked my friend about the Prozac and she said it worked but not as well as Gabapentin, the drug he is now on. So ... Seems to me you might have to experiment to see what works best for your dog.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby patti » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:59 pm

Thanks Cindy! We will see how it goes! We are starting it slow, one tab every other day for 2 weeks. I hope it works!
patti
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby patti » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:12 pm

Well, the Prozac did not work! I think it actually made things worse! She slept a lot more, and all her little monkey antics, disappeared! We slowly weaned her off it, and she seems to be doing ok. The vet wanted to try Elavil, but we decided to just see how she was, without anything! She still gets frightened by thunder, but not as severe! I have heard a lot about CBD Oil, and would try that, if it should worsen!
patti
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby gagesbarb » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:51 am

thanks for the update...I always wonder what happens when people ask questions or share issues...sorry the prozac didn't work; our first dog was terrified of certain sounds-fireworks, the beep on my son's watch, other "sharp" noises...oddly, he didn't mind storms until he got older...we tried all sorts of things, including meds, but nothing really worked...he had his "safe" spots (his rate, behind the toilet), and we ended up just riding it out with him...around the 4th of July was the worst...made me hate fireworks...so many dogs are terrified by them...
If you try the CBD oil, please give us an update...helps me learn!!!
gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby Barb Wright » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:46 pm

Here is one of the better sites to visit for education and usage information on CBD for dogs. Would like to emphasize their recommendation that you be sure to get organic CBD to avoid chemicals.

https://www.certapet.com/cbd-oil-for-dogs/

As an Herbalist I have always tried a medicinal herb approach (time permitting) before going for prescription "big guns". For both humans and dogs :)
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Return to Health/Medical