Cause for Concern???

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Cause for Concern???

Postby Dakota » Sun Apr 09, 2006 3:29 pm

My 10 year old female Dakota, refused to eat her dinner tonight! This girl has not missed a single meal in 10 years! She ate breakfast and had a dentabone around 11 am. She seems ok otherwise, but I am very concerned as she has never before walked away from her food!! :roll:
Image[/URL]
Dakota
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby Barb Wright » Sun Apr 09, 2006 3:49 pm

If she seems okay otherwise, no vomiting, no diarrhea, not restless or panting, no whining or whimpering....if it was my dog I would just wait it out and just be alert for any other "off" behavior. I would not offer any food til tomorrow morning, but do watch to see if she drinks water.

Not familiar with the Dentabone but if it can be chewed into chunks I'd be concerned about that....but not much to do except wait and see if anything else develops. Dogs are pretty keen about knowing when to not eat, but it is definitely a clue that not all is well :cry: If things change for the worse I'd be off to the vet. If it stays a status quo I'd just ride it out. But, do what feels most comfortable for you, never hesitate to follow your "gut" :)
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Cause for Concern

Postby Dakota » Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:39 pm

Thanks for the reply Barb. Hubby was so concerned that he has been snuggling with her on the couch. When he asked if she wanted to go bye-bye's she was out the door in a flash! Will keep a close eye on her though! Will keep you posted... :?
Image[/URL]
Dakota
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby Kathy » Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:34 pm

Hi Michelle,
Has Dakota had dental bones before?
My Duke is known for eating anything, digestable or not. Like Barb says, if Dakota develops vomiting and/or diarhea, even after drinking water, then you should take her to the vet. One tell-tale sign that Duke is obstructed is he doesn't eat, then he has vomiting. I've been off to the vets on different occasions due to his consumption of corrigated cardboard (it eventually passed), pillow stuffing (passed too, but with my assistance ... imagine a "tug-o-war" between dog end & me :wink: ), booda velvet bones (removed by surgery), soft rubber toy (removed by surgery), and other items that we find in his dog piles ($5 bills, Bill-Jack cartons, etc).

Keep us posted, we care.
-Kathy
Kathy
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Dave » Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:11 pm

I agree with the gals . watch for other symtoms . It is unusual for Brittanys not to eat , they are chow hounds :roll: . Keep us posted . 8) Dave
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers
Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Cause for Concern

Postby Dakota » Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:22 am

No vomitting or diarehha and she has had dentabones before. I think I have it figured out. I recently changed them from Nupro vitamin supplements(which she loved the gravy it makes) to Missing Link(I noticed missing link doesn't make the same gravy when water is added).
She turned her nose up at breakfast this morning at first so I mixed in some shredded cheese her favorite. She reluctantly ate it.

So tonight I will stop and get some Nupro and see if that is it, otherwise she is off to the vet! :roll:
Image[/URL]
Dakota
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby Dave » Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:15 am

I was thinking about this . If you go to the vet have her teeth looked at . My old girls got picky eating and they both ended up having teeth pulled . If you can examine her teeth yourself , give them a good look . My dogs fight me when I start probing their teeth :roll: . Dave
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers
Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Cause for Concern

Postby Dakota » Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:22 am

Had Hubby check yesterday, but I will check again tonight! Just don't know whether to make a vet appointment now or give it another day...

She is the baby!!!!
Image[/URL]
Dakota
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby Kathy » Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:59 am

Michelle,
Give it a day. It sounds like she's being fussy over her food.

When we go camping in the summer, Duke gets canned dog food, which he loves. When we're not camping, he gets kibble. We know that after a weekend of camping, Duke will turn his nose up at his kibble, but we know that he's holding out for more canned food. So, we just wait it out & eventually he will eat his kibble.

The dental check can probably wait until Dakota's next vet visit, unless her breath is incredibly foul. Duke's breath got foul over the past couple of months, so we had his teeth cleaned when it was time for his annual checkup. His breath is better now, not teeth pulled but the pocketbook ... suffice it to say that we're now trying to remember to brush Duke & Hunter's teeth 2x per week, as that will hopefully limit the pocketbook damage!

Keep us posted!

-Kathy
Kathy
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Cause for Concern

Postby Dakota » Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:58 pm

I am so relieved, I was worried all day about Dakota, stopped and got the Nupro came home made her dinner and she ate it all. She is running around the house sqeaking her toys!!!

Gotta give her credit she is a typical woman!!! WE KNOW WHAT WE WANT and will do what is needed to get it!!!

A Happy brittany puts a smile on your face and lots of love in your heart!!! :P
Image[/URL]
Dakota
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby swillow66 » Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:13 am

:lol: Yeah :lol:
Madison and Riley "Waiting for Spring!"

To the world you are just one person, but to one person you can mean the world
swillow66
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby harleygrl1219 » Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:33 am

I am so glad she is better
harleygrl1219
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby brittlover » Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:51 am

Our Brittany, is a picky eater, We use to use Nupro, but we stopped awhile go, But we have him on Missing link too.. He did take to it thought. But it is definately a possibilty that she does not like the missing link. When our dog stopped eating a meal each day, we decided to try changing the food to see if he would eat, and that did it, we changed his food and he got so excited about eating again. . Since you have had your dogs on both Missing link and Nupro, Which do you think is better. I know there is a differene in there coats. but there coat was dry and dull, but that was becase he was on a lite food. Missing link is more expensive than Nupro, so I was just wonding if Nupro was any better of a supplement.
brittlover
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Postby Barb Wright » Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:23 pm

Here's the ingredient list for both Missing Link and Nupro:

MISSING LINK
Flax Seed
Glucosamine
Blackstrap Molasses
Freeze Dried Liver
Rice Bran
Primary Dried Yeast
Sunflower Seed
Dehydrated Alfalfa
Dried Carrot
Freeze Dried Bone
Dried Fish Meal
Freeze Dried Oyster
Sprouted Green Barley
Dried Kelp
Lecithin
Garlic
Yucca Schidigera Extract.

NUPRO
Dessicated Liver
Norwegian Kelp
Micropulverized Bee Pollen
Imported Nutritional Yeast Culture
Flaxseed and ground Borage Seed
Lecithin
Garlic concentrate
Lactobacillus Acidophilus
Provides 16 vitamins, 15 minerals, 23 amino acids, 9 enzymes and 4 essential fatty acids.

I've used ML a couple times, in fact Cassie is on it right now for dry skin. Dry cold air and dry house heat are hard on the skin during the winter :cry: humans and dogs alike. I like the sound of the Nupro and will try it next time. They both read as good supplements, so if the dogs prefer one over the other, well, so be it :D
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Return to Health/Medical