Maggie's CCL tear and muscle mass

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Maggie's CCL tear and muscle mass

Postby Muddy Creek Britts » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:43 am

Since Maggie tore her CCL, she has lost an extreme amount of muscle mass. Called my old vet (who is off until next Thursday). The vet tech also has Britts and said that loss greatly concerns her. She didn't say anything specific, but now I fear she was thinking cancer. Maggie went from my big-boned girl to an anorexic in a few weeks. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. And I'll take all the prayers I can. She just turns 10 on next Friday.
Brian
Muddy Creek Britts
"When a dog runs at you, whistle for him." ~~Henry David Thoreau
Muddy Creek Britts
Zinger
Zinger

Re: Maggie's CCL tear and muscle mass

Postby Cindy » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:38 am

Is she still eating normally and just losing weight or is she not eating? How much weight has she lost?
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby Muddy Creek Britts » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:32 pm

She's eating normally. But she is in pain with a lot of panting. Of course she has a very awkward gait...almost looks like she has to twist her spine to avoid putting weight on that leg. That leg must be thrown outward to bear the pain. The Rimadyl doesn't seem to do her much good. The weight loss came after the injury, so makes me think it has to be the cause. Nothing unusual until the injury.
Brian
Muddy Creek Britts
Muddy Creek Britts
Zinger
Zinger

Postby Cindy » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:35 am

I think (and certainly hope) you're right! And the awkward gate will move all her muscles, etc. around so maybe she just looks different??? And she's probably not moving much either due to the pain. What's the plan for the torn CCL?
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby Barb Wright » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:04 pm

If the torn CCL has allowed the joint to slip and not go back into position (from your description this seems to be the case) you have a real problem. It will eventually heal but will be a continued source of pain. The joint needs to be put back into position and begin to heal properly....either way a long haul for the body to make the repair. Surgery will do it all faster, and usually better. The pain is causing her to not use the leg and could therefor be responsible for muscle atrophy (loss of strength and mass). If the Rimadyl is not working to alleviate pain then stop using it!! it is a very serious and potentially dangerous drug for many dogs and responsible for liver damage, kidney damage, and in many cases death. Most NSAIDs have nasty side effects and Rimadyl has a particularly bad rep. I would be aware of the possible side effects while using any NSAID. Another bad part about using NSAID's on dogs is that if the drug works then the dog thinks the injured area is okay and will often use it, which can be just the wrong thing to do to the injured area. Pain management in animals often puts you between a rock and a hard spot. It sounds like you are there.

I have personal experience with a torn ACL and Meniscus....I was able to heal it without surgery but it was a long (3-4 months,) and for a good part of the way, uncomfortable journey. Dealing with a dog and this kind of injury is a different matter....you just can't explain the situation and get their cooperation. I know that ACL and CCL surgeries are expensive, but with the knee out of position you really don't have much choice. If money is an issue, which is the case with most of us, there are web sites that offer assistance in these type matters. Or best of all, your vet may allow a payment schedule.

Sorry for both of you having to go through this.....hoping for a good outcome....keep us in the loop, we care.
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby Muddy Creek Britts » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:23 pm

Having moved, I took her to the big vet office in my area. They wanted $2500 for surgery. I called my old vet, who I've always loved and respected. I was told it runs between $1200-1500. He's off until Thursday. So I made an appt for Thursday. Worth the 1/2 hour drive to get the vet that I've never had a problem with and knows his stuff rather than going to what looks more like a corporate entity. Maggie got really nervous when that vet came in. That's not like her. I'll stick with the guy whose got us through every problem before and each litter without having a single regret.

Thanks, all.
Brian
Muddy Creek Britts
Muddy Creek Britts
Zinger
Zinger

Postby Muddy Creek Britts » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:29 am

Oh, how I long for the simple ACL injury days of June. Took Maggie to our old vet last Thursday. Bloody discharge from her rear four teats. He did complete blood work and X-rays. This is what we've gotten.

#1...she is diabetic. Insulin started. Must spay for hormone control so insulin will work better.

#2...before and spay or ACL repair, the mastitis must be healed. It's very bad. The diabetes made her susceptible to infection. Trying to avoid mastectomy, enough dollars to fix all that's already wrong.

#3...her ovaries are not identical...some anomaly it appears. Chest X-rays clear, so, if it is a tumor, doesn't look like it's spread. Spay should eliminate that issue.

#4...this bothers me most is the weight loss, though caused by all of the above. June 4th she weighed 46lbs, her normal; July 2nd she was down to 37lbs, and just 5 days later 35lbs. She has nothing left, so anorexic. In one month, I went from thinking she was in damn good shape for being 10...healthy weight, still just like she's been all her life, to now I have to help her up, she just lays on her side, barely even lifting her head. Hard panting a lot of the time. I think we have improvement with that the last day or so. Vet noticed a slight head tilt. I think that's just from misery...ACL, diabetes, massive infection, and having no body mass. Her hind end is just spine and hips.

Worst month of our time together. Really sad. Teats improving slightly makes me hope that we're slowly coming out of ground zero. I'm struggling to find the connection between all these pieces. An ACL doesn't usually become all of this.
Brian
Muddy Creek Britts
Muddy Creek Britts
Zinger
Zinger

Postby Cindy » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:06 am

Good thing you got her to the vet when you did. What did he say about the weight loss? Could it be due to all the other things she has going on? Is she eating normally and just not keeping weight on? I do feel bad for both of you as it's terrible to go from what you thought was a healthy dog to this is just a month. Please keep us posted. Fingers and paws crossed you can get this straightened out.
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby StFrost » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:16 pm

When it rains, it pours, it seems, especially dealing with dogs as they get older.

St. Rocco is the intercessor for dogs,
Prayer to Saint Rocco

O Great St. Rocco, deliver us,
we beseech thee,
from the scourges of God;
through thy Intercessory,
preserve our bodies from contagious diseases,
and our souls from the contagion of sin.
Obtain for us salubrious air;
but, above all, purity of heart.
Assist us to make good use of health,
to bear suffering with patience;
and, after thy example,
to live in the practice of penance and charity,
that we may one day enjoy the happiness
which thou has merited by thy virtues.

St. Rocco, pray for us (say three times)

You are both in my thoughts and prayers.
StFrost
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Return to Health/Medical