joint supplements

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

joint supplements

Postby MaggieRocks » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:19 pm

Sammy is 13 1/2. At his annual physical last year, the vet suggested to start giving him supplements for his joints. She recommended any of the following: Cosequin, Glyco-flex, or Dasuquin. I ended up ordering Joint Care Premium Plus from Drs Foster and Smith. Now I need to order another supply, but I'm wondering....should I get the same thing again, or should I get one of the 3 the vet suggested? Any "success" stories out there? He usually gets around pretty good, but every now and then, he has his moments where he shows his age.
MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Re: joint supplements

Postby Cindy » Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:08 pm

We gave Kayla Dasuquin in the beginning and didn't see much change. Then switched to Dasuquin with MSM and think it really helped. We also increased everyone's fish oil to two 1200 mg capsules/day, each with 360 mg Omega-3. I think that's just good for all dogs.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Re: joint supplements

Postby kat » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:53 pm

We have a two year old Golden with bilateral hip displaysia, he was a Guide Dog for the Blind puppy released back to us. Guide Dogs had him on Dasuquin when he came back. Our vet carries Glyco-flex so we give him that. Didn't see any difference with the switch. Not sure that's really any help for you though.... Maybe try one of the ones the vet suggested and see if you see a difference?
My mom is a Kat - How cool is that?
kat
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Return to Health/Medical