question about food sensitivity

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

question about food sensitivity

Postby gagesbarb » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:33 am

JJ came to us with a bag of "sensitive stomach" food. He was very overweight (vet record from a year ago said he weighed 77 lbs), so he obviously had been being overfed. He had a very soft, pudding stool. He was an owner surrender and he then spent about 6 weeks with another possible adopter who free-fed him Beneful. Gage eats Fromms, but that has a lot of different things in it, so we tried some ID for a few days, then put him back on the sensitive stomach food his original family had sent along when he was surrendered. We worked with the vet and put JJ on ground beef/rice and then Royal Canin Potato and Rabbit for the last couple of months. His stools have become pretty normal, though I have to say that they were heading that way anyway...as the vet tech predicted, it's certainly good things have stabilized but we don't really know if he has a food allergy/intolerance, or he was just being overfed and going through a lot of stress. I am now adding a new protein a little at a time...started with cooked ground beef, adding it very, very slowly because the ground beef/rice he was on before didn't seem to make things worse...
my question--he gets 1/4 cup canned food with his kibble...I thought I'd work up to 1/4 cup ground beef...if he is OK after a couple of weeks, can I conclude the addition is OK?
sorry to go on and on...if this should be in the health section, please move it...thanks as always for everyone's input!
gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Re: question about food sensitivity

Postby Barb Wright » Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:15 pm

gagesbarb wrote:he was just being overfed and going through a lot of stress.

I would venture that, rather than a food allergy, this was the problem in the beginning. Science Diet (sensitive stomach) and Beneful are pretty low on the nutritional quality list, so they didn't help, in fact probably exacerbated the issue. What you are doing, adding quality protein, is a very good approach and if he continues to lose weight and his stools stay settled you aren't doing anything wrong. Try adding and alternating ground chicken, or ground turkey, or fish (or any other meat) in small amounts for a couple weeks at a time....1/4 cup is a good starting amount, and if no issues result you are on the right track again. Variety of protein sources is very important and if JJ tolerates these different sources that is all the better for him. And in the plus column, if he tolerates these different proteins a food allergy is not likely.

I forget how old JJ is, but if he is over 5 years old digestive enzymes could be considered and would probably help, and would help decrease the amount of food he needs to take in. Digestive enzymes aid in getting full nutrient value out of what is ingested. Also what I would be sure and add is a probiotic, preferably powder form (capsules). They are of great benefit (to humans too) and given 2-3 times a week can do no harm.

Your patient approach is good....the body needs time to make adjustments when you are using nutrition to correct issues. Sounds like JJ is in good, capable hands :)
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby gagesbarb » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:19 pm

thanks so much! very reassuring...
I tried probiotic fortiflora at the beginning, tried it two times and it seemed to make things worse...
but I will look into a different kind...if I recall, you have suggested the kind that is refrigerated?
we eat a lot of yogurt and I often give Gage a spoonful...
JJ is 6 so I'll look into the digestive enzymes...may be good for Gage also since he is somewhere around 9-11yrs...
thanks again...JJ is such a love...I just want him to be healthy and feel good!
gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby Barb Wright » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:59 pm

Probiotic supplements that require refrigeration have the most viable (useable) constituents. Try a 1/2 capsule sprinkled on the food once a week and see if that is tolerated. Yogurt is a milk product, and the amount of viable probiotic is pretty small, but certainly can be a source....for the dogs just be sure it is plain, no fruit or flavoring or additions of any kind. Kefir might be a good alternative. Unfortunately most of the foods that naturally contain probiotics are vegetable (fermented veggies being a wonderful source), so not what you would call appropriate for dogs. I just can't visualize a dog eating raw fermented sauerkraut, can you :lol: :lol:
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby gagesbarb » Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:49 pm

:D :D :D fermented sauerkraut? no...not sure I would eat that...have heard it is very good for people, though...

thanks a lot, Barb...I've lurked here for many years and learned a lot about lots of things in general, and health/diet in particular from you...
thanks also for the reminder about patience...I know it is important, though my nature is to want to fix things quickly...
gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Return to Health/Medical