how much chicken and rice for diarrhea

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

how much chicken and rice for diarrhea

Postby gagesbarb » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:39 am

JJ developed very soft poop with mucus and even a little blood...vet gave him flagyl and he's on chicken and rice...no idea why this happened...he's his usual bouncy happy self otherwise...great appetite...he is much better after two doses of medicine and chicken/rice...but I got to thinking--how much chicken and rice and in what proportions? I'm giving him 2 cups of rice with 1 cup cooked chicken (total for day)...started with several small meals throughout the day and moving back to twice a day...he actually hasn't pooped at all for a day, but don't think that is bad...he's emptied out...he weighed 58 pounds last time we weighed him...that's a good weight for him judging from the "feel the ribs" test...thanks as always...
(going to get probiotics today...had tried fortiflora for his sensitive stomach when we first got him 8 months ago and that seemed to make him worse)
gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Re: how much chicken and rice for diarrhea

Postby Barb Wright » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:49 pm

If the diarrhea has stopped you are on the right track. Start substituting small portions of his regular diet to the chicken/rice, arriving back at his normal meals in about 3-4 days, assuming the diarrhea does not return. If the stools start to soften again or seem too loose ditch the kibble entirely and get a new bag. Still a good idea to keep the meals small and divided into at least 3-4 meals a day for a few more days, just to give the gut a chance to settle and repair. A Probiotic is definitely called for and will help get the gut climate back in balance. You can also add a tablespoon of PLAIN pumpkin to one or two meals....pumpkin is a modulator and helps both with diarrhea and constipation, can't hurt might help.

Always a good idea to examine the daily poop (best at the time of excretion) for abnormalities in appearance, texture, quantity, etc. If it doesn't look like usual you have a heads up that something is perhaps not right and can hopefully stay ahead of an impending problem. With any diarrhea issue one of the first things to do is fast, no food but do make sure the dog takes in water quite often even if you have to entice them by adding some flavor like tuna juice or a wee bit of chicken broth. This fast give the gut a chance to calm and take care of the problem, if it can. Diarrhea can itself cause collateral damage to kidneys, liver, vascular system, etc., so keeping the dog hydrated can actually become the most important thing you can do during a siege of diarrhea. If the bowels settle during the next 24 hours then the introduction of food should be a very small amount of bland food...yep, as you did, chicken and white rice is the usual menu....increasing the amount if the gut seems to have returned to normal, that is, no extremely runny stool. Taking their temperature at onset is also good practice, gives another clue to what you might be dealing with and is good info for the vet if you are still at the telephone stage of trying to get a handle on what is happening.

Probably preaching to the choir here but the fingers just kept on the move :wink:
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby Cindy » Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:09 pm

I don't remember where I got this from but worth posting again ...

Seek immediate professional care from a veterinarian if you suspect the following:
• You think there is an obstruction from digesting an object
• If the dog is showing signs of dehydration, (grab the skin on the back of the neck and it is slow to return to normal)
• The dog’s vomiting/diarrhea persist for over 24 hours
• Dog shows extreme lethargy or other sudden changes
• You suspect it is something more than just a regular upset stomach.

DAY ONE: Liquids Only
• Dilute 1 part low-sodium chicken/beef broth with 1 part water or plain pedialyte
• Water
• Alternate the type of liquid giving 2 cups every 2-3 hours. The purpose of doing liquids only for the first 24 hours is to let the GI tract rest and help subside the spasms.

DAY TWO: Feed ¼ cup every 2-3 hours
• Liquids - 3 cups water every 3-4 hours
• Food - 1 part boiled hamburger (low-fat, drained and rinsed with hot water) to 2 parts boiled rice (you can substitute Science Diet Canine I/D)
• Make enough to last for about a week, refrigerating the remaining portion

DAY THREE: Feed 1/2 cup every 4 hours
• Liquids - Free choice water
• Food - Mix ¼ regular food to ¾ meat and rice mixture.

DAY FOUR: Feed 3/4 cup 2-3 times a day
• Liquids - Free choice water
• Food - Mix ½ regular food to ½ meat and rice mixture

DAY FIVE until the rice mixture is finished:
• Liquids—Free choice water
• Each day continue to increase regular food into meat and rice mixture until your pet is back on regular food and regular amount
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby gagesbarb » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:54 pm

Thanks sooo much...so reassuring to have your advice...

He continues to do better...he did poop once...soft and orange color(?), but no mucus or blood and has only gone once and that was this morning...
noticed some little white specs in it (I do inspect the poop, yucky as it sounds)...not as big as "rice grains" that Sam once had when he had tape worms, but I'm going to watch...
I did catch him eating a dead leaf off a houseplant this afternoon...it is a crown of thorns plant...I looked it up and to my horror, found it was toxic...
I had several and threw them all out...

He continues to be very perky, good appetite and acting normal...our son had some friends over and one had a wig on as part of a costume...JJ was sooo interested in it...guess he thought it was a stuffed toy...
just looked in on the group and JJ is sitting on the couch in between our son and his friend...both of the guys are petting him as they chat...JJ looks very happy :lol: :lol: :lol:

I just hate it when any of the guys are sick...I think JJ will be OK, but I still worry about him...
thanks again for the support!!!
gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Return to Health/Medical