Back for a visit and update

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Back for a visit and update

Postby Scarlett » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:50 pm

It has been a long time since I posted. My Brittany will be 13 in January. She has been such a good dog.....calming down after a few years and especially after we took the advice of this board and made her an inside dog.

She is really getting old :(. She currently has inflammation in her feet that just won't heal. We have her on round two of antibiotics and steroids....plus bathing her feet in special soap twice a day. Poor girl can barely walk. It just breaks my heart. Has anyone had anything like this.....I am wondering if this is the beginning of the end for her.
Scarlett
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Re: Back for a visit and update

Postby Scarlett » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:51 pm

I wanted to post a pic but still can't figure it out.
Scarlett
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Postby Scarlett » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:48 am

I just found out her litter mate died n her sleep this summer. :(
Scarlett
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Postby gagesbarb » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:13 pm

It is just soooo hard when our guys get older or get sick...I could offer all the perspectives people have offered me to help when I've faced those difficult times, many of which were helpful...but there is actually nothing to say that
really lessens how much it hurts to lose one of them...still, we keep bringing another into our lives and get attached all over again...
gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby Scarlett » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:28 pm

How do I decide when it is time to put her down?

She still enjoys her food....but she can barely walk....I took her out to potty and she is limping like crazy.
Scarlett
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Postby Cindy » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:54 am

My vet has always been very helpful in advising me about those decisions. What does the vet say about the limping?
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby Scarlett » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:42 am

Her feet are inflamed and infected. He isn't sure what is causing it. She will finish her current round of meds on Thursday. I am taking her back Thursday or Friday because I don't think they are better.
Scarlett
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Postby gagesbarb » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:17 am

don't know where you live and what is available, but when my vets are not sure what is going on, they refer us to a specialty vet...can be expensive, but I always feel better about making decisions if I know what is going on...my experience with our specialty vets is that they are realistic and although they present the whole range of options, will not push to do a lot that will not really improve quality of life for a significant amount of time...they also start with the minimum number of tests they need to offer an opinion and just have a lot more experience with unusual problems... I have found them to be honest about things...I have also always relied on our vets...we share a point of view--they know we are willing to do a whole lot for our animals, but their quality of life is important...someone on this forum suggested a way of thinking about this--make a list of the 4-5 things your dog enjoys and when he can't participate in most of them, then it may be time...of course, if the situation has a chance to improve, then you motor through...
please keep us informed about how things go...although unfortunately, we don't have a magic wand, we all can empathize with what you are going through and will always be here to listen and "talk..." Obviously, from the length of my posts, I find "talking" about things reassuring...
gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby Frisco » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:43 am

If you live in Colorado, I have a great Vet who has gotten us through some difficult situations over the years. He is the most compassionate Vet I have ever known. Two years ago we had to let one of our Brittanies go and he sat on the floor with me as I held Dillon in my lap and he passed. Hopefully your Vet will have a solution when you go back. Please keep us posted.
Frisco
Puppy

Postby Scarlett » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:45 pm

Thanks guys. I always come back to this board when I have something to tell or ask about Maggie.

She got a steroid shot a week ago and it made her soooo thirsty. She would wake us up at 3 or 5 a.m. crying to get out of her crate and she would go straight to her water bowl. But we can't leave her out of her crate at night because since her feet hurt she has gone potty in the house a couple of times. So that has been exhausting. Last night though she slept straight through until almost 7. When I realized she hadn't woke me up I ran to her crate fearful she was too sick to cry out. Ugh. She was ok, except she has a terrible time getting out of her crate. I think between the arthritis and her feet being infected and inflamed it is just really hard to get up after being in the crate all night.

She hates to go outside.....doesn't want to leave the sidewalk and wants to come right back in instead of doing her business. That is how bad her feet hurt especially when she gets on the grass. This morning dh fashioned some socks on her feet and although she still resisted getting off the sidewalk I could tell that when she did the socks did make a difference.

I will let you know what the vet says.
Scarlett
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Postby smugg254 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:22 pm

Any update on your Brittany? how is she fairing on?
smugg254
Puppy

Return to Health/Medical