update on Gage

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

update on Gage

Postby gagesbarb » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:43 pm

In another thread, I explained how Gage fainted and we saw the vet cardiologist...
we had our follow up last week-- bladder infection is gone :D, and his chest/bronchial x ray showed much less inflammation :D We had been on antibiotic and a "low dose" of steroid every day for 3 weeks and then every other day...on the latter dose, he has been coughing a little more, but not as much as when we went in...so the recommendation is to stay on that every other day dose...cardiologist says that is relatively safe, especially considering the alternative...that is, we need to keep the inflammation from getting worse again or he risks having his lungs scar and that is COPD...talked to my vet who says we'll check Gage in 6 months to monitor liver function and make sure he doesn't have a bladdar infection, which apparently can happen with long term steroid use...I hate to have him on the steroids, but I don't want his lungs to scar...
we still don't know what is causing this in the first place...I keep trying to focus on the fact that he is his usual happy, energetic, affectionate self :D :D :D and am trying not to worry too much.
gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Re: update on Gage

Postby Cindy » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:55 am

Interesting ... I wonder exactly what it is that's causing the inflammation. But all in all a positive report.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby Barb Wright » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:08 am

Cindy wrote: .......all in all a positive report.

Yes :) You're doing your best and keeping him "happy"....what we all always hope for when mysteries prevail. Give worry the boot as best you can.....it does sound like you are keeping a positive attitude, always the goal when adversity strikes. Sending good vibes your way.....
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby gagesbarb » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:05 am

Thank you for the encouraging words...we are lucky that he is not in distress...It is so comforting to have a group of people who understand that although they are
"just dogs," we are incredibly connected with our fur-kids and they are so much more than "just dogs!"
(and same for our cats :lol: and, I suspect, for Cindy's horses :lol: :lol: )
gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby Cindy » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:46 am

gagesbarb wrote:Thank you for the encouraging words...we are lucky that he is not in distress...It is so comforting to have a group of people who understand that although they are
"just dogs," we are incredibly connected with our fur-kids and they are so much more than "just dogs!"
(and same for our cats :lol: and, I suspect, for Cindy's horses :lol: :lol: )

Definitely!!But I have discovered something interesting about myself over the last 5 months ... We've been fostering a large pony (Heidi) for the local equine rescue league. The deal I made was that we'd keep her until she got adopted OR until I started getting too attached. I assumed the "attachment" part would happen in 3 months or less but it really hasn't. She's a beautiful and very sweet pony and gets along great with my guy Curran - we really do enjoy her but have not become attached yet. Maybe it's because she doesn't belong to me so I'm keeping my distance (sure - that's easy to do :roll: ) or because it takes longer to form an attachment to an animal living in your pasture - hard to know. At any rate, it appears that I might be better at fostering horses than we've been fostering dogs. I'll let you know when Heidi finds a new home :lol: :lol:
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby AuntieMom » Sat May 20, 2017 10:59 am

How is Gage doing?
Trapper, CharLee & Kallie
AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion