respiratory allergy question

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

respiratory allergy question

Postby gagesbarb » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:41 am

Gage is somewhere around 12 as best we can figure and we adopted from ABR about 6years ago...he has always had an occasional cough, but never bothered him...became more frequent last February and he ended up with a work up at the vet cardiologist who diagnosed chronic idiopathic bronchitis, meaning his bronchial tubes/ lungs (?) were inflamed but they didn't know why. Fortunately, he never seems to be short of breath, etc. He has been on prednisone every other day and doing well. Because of the heat, we have not been able to do our usual long walks, but the heat broke a little this last week and we walked more. Here, this is the time of year when mold counts go up and I have been back on my allergy meds. Gage has been coughing more and his eyes have been watering more (he's also always had that but it comes and goes and doesn't seem to bother him.) I know that allergies in dogs are typically manifested by skin issues, but can they also affect respiratory system? My plan is to limit walks (offer him frozen stuffed bones when JJ and I walk because it makes I feel terrible leaving Gage) and see what happens through the weekend...if he is still coughing more, back to the vet...thanks for any thoughts/experiences you all may have...
gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Re: respiratory allergy question

Postby Barb Wright » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:34 pm

gagesbarb wrote: I know that allergies in dogs are typically manifested by skin issues, but can they also affect respiratory system?

Absolutely, and eyes, ears and digestive systems as well. Sensitivities, to include allergies, affect the whole body actually because the immune system is engaged in battle trying to oust and overcome the "enemy", hence all the secretions (coughing, sneezing, watery eyes, itchy skin, rashes, loose stools, etc.) that take place to eliminate the intruders. An "Idiopathic" diagnosis is doctor-speak for "don't know" and that is when we have to start looking at the environment in which we and our dogs live. In the home are many toxins....flame retardant and stain resistant materials (upholstery, curtains, rugs), including dyes; other man-made materials like laminated wood (glues), flooring, paint, everything plastic; a multitude of chemicals in cleaning products like detergents and cleansers, air fresheners, fabric softeners; body lotions and sprays, etc. etc......I could go on ad nauseam. My point is, all these items gas off to some extent, we (and our dogs) inhale or absorb these chemicals through our skin day in day out and the body has to deal with all this toxic miasma that surrounds us. And our dogs are especially affected because they are closer to the ground and use their noses to a much greater extent than we do. Some of us, and some of our dogs, are more sensitive to this prolonged exposure and exhibit "symptoms" of the body fighting off the toxic over-load.

The above is in the home, now lets go outside and see what we have.....the typical air of any highly populated industrial city, car exhaust, factory pollution, I don't need to elaborate, it's obvious to the eye. If we go suburban we have chemical fertilizers, pesticides, herbicides, in some areas aerial spraying of more chemicals, and of course, all the dread Mahacas that Mother nature comes up with such as pollens, molds, fungi, parasites, bacteria (some good, some bad), etc. Our immune system is dealing with these issues 24/7....some of us come through apparently unscathed, others not so much.

Anyway, when tests of blood, urine, stool, other secretions don't suggest an answer so that the doctors can identify the likely source, you might do a recon through your inner and outer living area and see if you can clean up your environment and maybe luck out and eliminate some of the possible culprits. Seasonal symptoms usually mean something from the outdoors, chronic (all the time) probably indicates an inside source.
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby gagesbarb » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:00 am

thanks Barb!
I'm guessing Gage's reactions are to more than one thing...he has always had an occasional cough year round, but this past year, worse mid summer to Fall (same as me...I react to mold which sky-rockets in that period in this area)...last Feb, we had a spike of unusually warm weather and were out a lot...I'm wondering if the mold increased...now, we keep windows closed :( have air-purifiers and keep the furnace blower running all the time with a special high end filter to try to keep "stuff" out of air...We are avoiding walking Gage in wooded areas...
I guess we'll just keep observing and looking for patterns and try to keep all of us as healthy as possible with the usual things--eat well, get enough sleep ( :roll: ), keep moving and try to avoid big stress ( :lol: :lol: )
easier said than done, but one step at a time...I just keep trying to focus on the fact that he is his usual self-- happy, energetic, great appetite, affectionate and never seems uncomfortable...I'm the one worrying
thanks again! information always helpful!
gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby Barb Wright » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:58 am

gagesbarb wrote: I just keep trying to focus on the fact that he is his usual self-- happy, energetic, great appetite, affectionate and never seems uncomfortable...

:) What we all hope and strive for. Being a "worrier" is part of the caring package, sort along the line of "he's not heavy, he's my brother" way of thinking. Gage is in good hands, no question :)
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Return to Health/Medical