UTI?

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

UTI?

Postby Muddy Creek Britts » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:06 am

Hi All,

Well, Sara is over 4 months old now. House-training has seemed to go nowhere. She won't poop in her crate, and that is about all I can compliment. She pees constantly. I can take her out, watch her do her business, then she comes in, rough houses for a little bit, then squat and pee. She even will squat right on the bed sometimes.

This time of year, I can be gone at work for 12 hours. I keep whelping pads in her crate, because, obviously, she can't hold her pee half the day. Not ideal, but she isn't traumatized in the least.

From my experience with UTIs, straining and blood are signs. She has neither. She can dump a river quite well and very often. Could this still be a UTI, or do I have an obstinate child?
Brian
Muddy Creek Britts
"When a dog runs at you, whistle for him." ~~Henry David Thoreau
Muddy Creek Britts
Zinger
Zinger

Re: UTI?

Postby gagesbarb » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:57 am

I am far from an expert, but I would say she is not obstinate, but confused and still young...I always want to make sure there is nothing medical going on, so if it were me, I would talk to the vet just to make sure...but I also wonder if she is allowed to pee in her crate (with the pads), it is delaying her getting the idea that there is a special place to pee, i.e. outside, in a "litter box" or other special potty place apart from her playing/sleeping place...she is still young and I hear all the time that puppies go out and then come in and pee again...some ideas (which you already may be doing, but...)-- when you take her out, take her on a leash so she can learn "first pee, then play." Take her to her potty area, see if she will pee, then walk around a bit and maybe she'll pee again...they are so easily distracted, especially as puppies...and since you've noticed a pattern, be prepared to take her out after she has rough-housed, or probably stop her a little earlier, before she is done, even if she has been out a short time before. When you have to leave her for work, could you set up an x pen with the pad apart from her crate/bed, water bowl? I have friends who use a litter pan with puppies when they have to leave for long times...who knew? but the pads would work, just set them up separate from play/sleeping area...maybe even in some kind of litter pan to help the puppy discriminate
An aside--I've lurked on the forum for many years and always enjoyed your sense of humor and "interesting" take on things :lol: Congratulations on the puppy!
gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby Cindy » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:19 pm

I would definitely get her checked for a UTI. When my dogs have had them there's never been blood or straining, just incontinence in the house. It's so easy to take in a sample and get almost immediate results so I'd start there. JMO.

PS And WHERE are the pictures of the puppy???
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby Barb Wright » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:48 am

Muddy Creek Britts wrote: She pees constantly. I can take her out, watch her do her business, then she comes in, rough houses for a little bit, then squat and pee. She even will squat right on the bed sometimes.

This might be submissive urination, not unusual in young pups. The "rough houses" might well cause this.....she will eventually get confident and not SU, but it can continue til they are a year old or so.

Muddy Creek Britts wrote: This time of year, I can be gone at work for 12 hours. I keep whelping pads in her crate, because, obviously, she can't hold her pee half the day.

GagesBarb had a good suggestion about having the potty pads placed elsewhere....just make sure the pads are as far away from the crate as possible. Can you confine her to a small room so that the crate and pads are separated? It would be good if she could get out of the crate during those long hours....just not a good thing for a pup to be crated that long, period.

Real house training can only take place if you are there to let them out when they need to go.....once you can be home more you (and she) will have an easier time of getting the message across.

Get her checked for a UTI, it will eliminate that possibility.
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby Muddy Creek Britts » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:40 pm

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wrhxi0lg19vyg ... 9.jpg?dl=0

Is ImageShack not free anymore? Can't copy URL link and get a message that my free 30-day trial is up. The above is a link to my Dropbox if it works. Great granddaughter with great grandfather, Storm.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vzi97rahw1zas ... 8.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fv10kmht20wgj ... 1.jpg?dl=0
Brian
Muddy Creek Britts
Muddy Creek Britts
Zinger
Zinger

Postby Muddy Creek Britts » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:00 pm

Not submissive peeing.

X pen lasted only a couple days before she figured out how to scale it like a rock climber.

Mowed the grass yesterday. Left her in the crate without bedding for 1 1/2 hours...no pee. Appointment today with rheumatologist...same time span with no bedding...no pee. Just can't do that for as long as I'm at work...too long.

Took her to see Arlo Guthrie last night. Must've slept hard. I did awaken to her in the kitchen, but no pee, probably the only morning without pee and/or poop. Not counting my blessings yet, just no pee yesterday and today. I was off both days though.

The above pictures are a month or so old. Realized the only new pictures I have of her are of her sleeping. Only time she is stationary enough for a picture.
Brian
Muddy Creek Britts
Muddy Creek Britts
Zinger
Zinger

Postby gagesbarb » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:39 pm

sweet little girl :D
I especially love the last one...what an expressive face :D :D
gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby Cindy » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:37 am

Oh Brian - she really is a cutie! Bet she'll be even cuter once she's house trained :lol: :lol:
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Return to Health/Medical