Laryngeal paralysis

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Laryngeal paralysis

Postby New2Grandmom » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:14 pm

Hi,
We are devastated by the news of laryngeal Paralysis (GOLPP) in our 8 year old Brittany, Buddy. Our first Britt died at 13 yo, and other beautiful boy, is our 9 yo rescue, Brody. I have read more articles, blogs, and forums in the past week, but I’m looking for information on current medical treatments that have helped to keep your Britts happy.
Did anyone else have a “Cow mooing” sound? Buddy stared that about 6 months ago, but never had the distinctive change in bark.
His first indication was a cyanosis episode (his gums and tongue turned blue) while wheezing, retracting, and struggling to breathe under stress at the groomer.
He also has a firm area above both hips. I’m not sure if this is muscle atrophy or not. There isn’t any indication of leg weakness at this point.
Unfortunately, I believe that we caught this later, rather than earlier.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Diane
New2Grandmom
Puppy

Re: Laryngeal paralysis

Postby gagesbarb » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:01 pm

I think there have been a number of people on the forum who have had brittanies with LP. We are one of those families. I understand that in many cases, there is a tie-back surgery that can be done and often with a successful outcome. Unfortunately, we found our boy also had mega-esophagus, which meant they could not do the surgery. We worked with a vet specialty group with internists and surgeons who worked together to try to help Sam. Sounds like you have already found lots of information...Sending hugs...it is always so hard when your baby is sick :cry:
gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby New2Grandmom » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:12 pm

Dear gagesbarb,
Thanks for your response and kind words. I’m sorry to hear about your Sam.
Over the past weekend, Buddy was having 7-8 breathing episodes per day. It was heart wrenching, and we made the decision to euthanize him on Monday when the Vet office opened.
In my quest for information, I discovered that Methocarbamol, a skeleton muscle relaxer, was getting good results for GOLLP. Since I was on the medication for my own muscle skeletal pain, I check the canine dosage and started giving him a 1/2 pill twice a day (750 mg/per day). On Sunday, he only had 1-2 episodes that were shorter, and on Monday, NONE!
I called the Vet Monday morning, and he returned my call in the afternoon. He ordered 1500 mg in 3 doses per day. It’s now Wednesday, and he’s having a few here, and there, but it’s a vast improvement.
Vomiting is also another early symptom. We thought it was our other Cotton Quilt eating Brittany, Brody. (Darn dog won’t eat a cheap Walmart bedcover, he only likes Macy’s cotton quilts, so holey quilt it is...)

The facts remain that Buddy isn’t a candidate for surgery, and we caught it end stage. As long as he is enjoying a quality life, we are here to support him. The minute he is suffering, he will be euthanized. Struggling to breathe has to be one of the worse ways to die, and our precious boy won’t suffer like that.
New2Grandmom
Puppy

Postby gagesbarb » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:31 am

so glad you found something that would help with the breathing. Sam didn't have that many problem breathing episodes a day until the end...that's when we made the decision...the vet gave us a muscle relaxant also and that helped for a while. I commend your dedication to him, and your recognition, as hard at it is, that you will not let him suffer...Also, thanks for sharing the medicine you used...I think the more we share information and experience, the better able we are to help our dogs
And welcome to the forum! hope you can join us often...do let us know how Buddy is doing...this group understands what you are going through and is always here to "listen."
gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Return to Health/Medical