Pippa limping

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Pippa limping

Postby Cindy » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:52 pm

Pippa has been limping off and on since Christmas. I took her to the vet a week ago and she had a through exam. Nothing very evident at all so the vet "thought" it was in her shoulder. Sent us home with Novox to give her twice a day and a week later I see zero improvement. She can run like the wind without limping a bit but when she walks there's a noticeable head bob. The vet suggested we prevent her from doing any "kamakazi" activities but she definitely wants to be out and about and likes to run, even on short outings. Any thoughts???
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Re: Pippa limping

Postby gagesbarb » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:42 pm

Just saw this...both Sam and Gage used to "tweak" their shoulders running down to the back yard...the path out is out the door, down the hill and a sharp turn to avoid neighbors fence...
all in short distance...they were so excited to get out that they hurtled themselves down the hill and turned sharply, pulling something in their shoulders...vet would examine and give me rimadyl and tell me to have them rest--ha, ha...I would try to leash walk them or at least take them around to the other way to get to the yard so they didn't do that twist move...that's what seemed to do them in....sometimes I'd put a cold compress on the shoulder...but it would go away in a few days, unless they kept running down the hill...I take it she "twists" and turns when she runs?
gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby Cindy » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:49 am

You pretty much described the scene at our house ... We let the dogs out onto the deck and Layla take a quick right while Pippa turns left to run around the house and catch whatever is lurking out of sight. They are both running full tilt when they do this and there's no changing that habit (we've tried). It's Pippa's right shoulder that hurts so doesn't it make sense since she's turning left? I talked to the vet last night and we'll take her back in next Tuesday for an xray and/or laser treatment.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby gagesbarb » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:33 am

I can't remember which shoulder and which way he turned...but I wonder if she is twisting other times when running full tilt? Once ours get going, they are so focused, they could run into a tree :shock: From what's happened to me, once something is pulled, the problem is letting it rest and recover; I also tend to keep going and keep aggravating the injury...supposed to be mild herre this weekend, so we'll be out a lot...hope your weather is moderating too...look forward to hearing what the vet says...
gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby Barb Wright » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:27 pm

Cindy wrote: It's Pippa's right shoulder that hurts so doesn't it make sense since she's turning left?

Actually it makes good sense....by turning left she is putting all the weight and stress on the left side. I would imagine that most of the time when she is running she is on her left lead as well. The left front lead is taking the impact and weight and allowing the right side to ease through the rest of the stride. I would think the reason why she looks to be limping when just walking or trotting is because the body weight is evenly distributed during the stride and in order to relieve the discomfort in the right shoulder she limps, thereby putting the stress/weight to the left. I daresay the pain is mild but still noticeable when she is not hot on the scent/chase, but when she is excited she just ignores it and goes full speed ahead. The Xrays will probably show arthritis or bone spurs or something else that is causing the discomfort thus the limp.
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Return to Health/Medical