Sharing a bed with your dog

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Sharing a bed with your dog

Postby LisaLearner88 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:28 pm

I read an article recently that has me super freaked about letting my dog sleep in my bed any more. Pretty much everyone does it, right? I've never heard about anyone getting sick but apparently there's some pretty nasty cooties that Sadie is tracking in the bed. Does anyone have an opinion on this https://startsleeping.org/health-risks- ... with-pets/?
LisaLearner88
Puppy

Re: Sharing a bed with your dog

Postby gagesbarb » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:59 pm

I suppose all of that is possible, but I've never heard of anyone getting any of those diseases from sleeping with their dog or cat. When I was pregnant, I didn't scoop the litter box and we do have an air purifier in our bedroom because my husband is allergic to cats. I will say, we've been married 35 years, had our pets sleep with us all that time, and his cat allergies have actually gotten better :lol: :lol:
gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby LaurenMiller » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:57 am

For instance, you shouldn’t let your dog sleep in your bed if you’re even a little bit allergic, says Gilbert. “Your immune system is primed to overreact to the allergens,” he says, and your bed becomes an allergen epicenter. Urdu News You, in turn, breath those harmful particles in for eight hours each night, and that can take a real toll on your system. In fact, a study conducted in Korea found that mice exposed to allergens for a prolonged period showed high levels of harmful inflammation.

It might sound obvious to avoid contact with dogs if you're allergic to them, but dog allergies are way more common than you think. More than half of the population has allergies, and more than a third of those are cat and/or dog allergies, according to the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America.
Last edited by LaurenMiller on Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
LaurenMiller
Puppy

Postby gagesbarb » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:48 am

One can't over-generalize to all people with allergies and if being around a dog or cat makes you sick, certainly you should minimize exposure. But our allergist made what I think is an excellent point-- animals give people so much and it is often worth putting the effort into appropriate management of allergies (often things like removing carpet and heavy drapes, air purifiers; maybe even shots) to keep the animal in your life. :lol:
gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby Sara247 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:46 am

I remember cat hair all over my clothes.Hence I think sleeping with dogs,the only problem is their hair.
Sara247
Puppy

Return to Health/Medical