Senior dog throwing up meals & falling

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Senior dog throwing up meals & falling

Postby brit12 » Sat May 25, 2019 9:40 pm

Rocky is 14 and has been throwing up his meals mostly breakfast. He had stopped eating (Blue Buffalo) so I got sensitive stomach (Pro Plan). At first no problem now throws up but wants to eat. He falls and I watched and realized he was trying to walk on tops of feet. He turns into puppy when lizard runs in his path. He is my service dog but hasn't worn vest in 2 yrs because of fatty tumors on side. He doesn't seem to hear as well either. He is not in any pain. I have noticed he is drinking more water. I don't want to think of putting him to sleep. Please help I'm scared.
Rocky died congestive heart failure and herniated disk he was was 141/2 yrs old. Sorry about typing its thru tears. Thank you all.
Last edited by brit12 on Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brit12
Puppy

Re: Senior dog throwing up meals & falling

Postby gagesbarb » Sun May 26, 2019 7:11 am

so hard when they get older :( There are so many things that could be happening...I think I would call your vet and take Rocky in for a check up...meanwhile, maybe multiple small meals of cooked chicken and white rice throughout the day would be easier to keep down...But, for sure, I'd call the vet to get an overall plan for Rocky and for you!! Let us know what happens...
gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby brit12 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:52 pm

UPDATE:
We had to put Rocky to sleep this morning. He had a herniated disk and congestive heart failure. He is 14 1/2 yrs old. I have M.S. and he was my service dog. No one trained him but he would pick things up for me, open doors. my husband would drop something and ask Rocky to get it...Rocky just looked at him. Sorry to go on and on but I miss him so. Thank you for your support and just being there.
Heartbroken
brit12
Puppy

Postby Cindy » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:14 am

Ugh - so sorry to hear about Rocky :cry: :cry: That's a huge loss for you in so many ways but I love knowing that he was such a smart guy and so helpful to you. RIP Rocky.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby gagesbarb » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:00 pm

My heart breaks for you...it never ceases to amaze me how intuitive these dogs are...they just "know" what we need and are there for us... :( :( :(
gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby canjar » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:29 am

This is what happened to our Jasper recently. Complete loss of appetite, diarrhea, rapid loss in strength, falling, rapid decline in health within 2 weeks. I just finished his Tribute video. Thank you to ABR, Nancy Vogel, and the transport team. He was with us for 12 years, we think he was 14 years old. Kids cried more with Jasper's passing than with Lucy's ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PE68YlHnZzQ
ataboy's Lucy killed da Wabbit
11/09/2005 ~ 03/14/2018
Jasper - an ABR dog, from Nebraska to Canada
DOA: 8/2007 ~ 08/10/2019
canjar
Puppy

Postby Barb Wright » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:28 pm

Lovely, lovely tribute.....Jasper surely did live a good life thanks to you and your family. Condolences on his passing and.....RIP Jasper, you were a lucky dog.
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby gagesbarb » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:54 pm

Heart-warming tribute...so sorry for your loss...as Barb said, you gave Jasper a wonderful life...and I know he gave you so much joy and love! sending hugs...
gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Return to Health/Medical