Constipation

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Constipation

Postby swillow66 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:05 pm

Started the dogs on the fish oil. That WAS an adventure. The first time, Riley couldn't or wouldn't swallow the pills. He bit it open and oil sprayed everywhere. :P :shock: Last night I pricked the end with a pin. Other than me smelling like fish, that worked a lot better! I think I'll get the pump when we done with these!

I've noticed Madison has been slightly constipated lately. I'm going to change dog foods probably in a couple of months (after we are routinely on fish oil), but is there something I can add to her diet now to help her out? (I already give them yogurt)

Thanks
Madison and Riley "Waiting for Spring!"

To the world you are just one person, but to one person you can mean the world
swillow66
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Barb Wright » Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:53 pm

Constipated as in difficulty (straining) in going, not going at all, hard dry stool, irregularity?????? When she does go what is the stool quality, hard, loose, looks digested, looks undigested, some good some bad, unusual color?????

Little more info might make suggestions easier :)
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby swillow66 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:14 pm

Little more info might make suggestions easier

Oops :oops:

How about this . . . she is going on a regular basis, while her stools are consistant, much too firm (I think) and she does seem to be straining. She is not in any pain or discomfort. They also do not appear to have anything unusual nor anything undigested.

I think they need to be a little softer and easier for her to expell.

thanks!!!

swillow66
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Lisa » Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:27 pm

Honestly, the best thing I’ve found for dogs that can go but strain a lot is a good long walk. Britty gets sorta constipated easily…she needs a good run or walk to get her bowls moving. At my house, it’s not much of a problem, since she wrestles with Buster in the yard, runs around the yard, etc. At my folks house, she has to go on a nice long walk daily or she won’t poop.
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD
Lisa

Postby Dave » Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:33 pm

Good old fiber helps , dogs and humans . I would give her some celery or maybe popcorn . I wouldn't use the popcorn with all the goofy salt and butter extracts they use though :roll: . I just use microwave popcorn with just a wee bit of salt for flavor . My dogs love popcorn .They don't have poop problems except for wanting to eat it :roll: . Second time around it is kinda runny :? . Dave
Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby harleygrl1219 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:28 pm

Dave, you crack me up!
harleygrl1219
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Barb Wright » Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:44 pm

swillow66 wrote:...She is not in any pain or discomfort. They also do not appear to have anything unusual nor anything undigested.

If this is the way she has been all along, nothing new, then it seems probably nothing to be concerned about. You could try adding some canned pumpkin (NOT the pie filling, just pure, plain canned pumpkin) to her meals...say 1 tablespoon to each meal. Pumpkin works well as a modulator for both constipation and diarrhea.

Try that along with some of the other suggestions....but keep in mind that unless she acts uncomfortable it may just be her way to go :roll:
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby swillow66 » Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:52 pm

Thanks Barb! I'll try a little pumpkin!

She does get plenty of exercise. Those two spend the day running like crazy plus we walk almost every night.

We had some left over food from Savannah that we were mixing into theirs. Now that they are on their own straight food, I think she was having harder stools. I plan on changing food next month, so that should be taken care of too.

swillow66
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Return to Health/Medical