Ibuprophen (sp?)

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Ibuprophen (sp?)

Postby Karen_P » Fri Jul 16, 2004 1:35 pm

Just a word of warning, I got a call from a prior adopter last night to fill me in on her pup's recent antics. She told me that Patch got a hold of a bottle of prescription pain killers on a Wednesday....she wasn't even sure he actually got them. She found the bottle, open but unchewed under the bed empty. She didn't know if her husband finished the meds and the bottle just rolled under there or what.

Anyway, keeping in mind that she found the bottle on Wednesday, Patch started vomiting on Friday night. Poor guy was as sick as can be and they rushed him to the vet first thing Saturday morning, who said he was dehydrated and put him on IV fluids.

On Sunday she got a call from the vet and asked what the name of her husband's medication was. She rifled through the garbage and found the bottle. The vet called her back in 5 minutes, sent her to CVS to pick up an Rx and bring it to her immediately.

Well, when she and her husband got to the pharmacy, the pharmacist wouldn't even allow her to handle the bag with the meds in it...no woman of child bearing years should come into contact with the meds.

It turned out that it was the abortion pill. Apparently combined with another medication, it actually heals the stomach lining in dogs.

After several days in the hospital and 2 weeks of a chicken and rice diet, Patch recovered fine, and his owners will recover from the $3000 vet bill, but this was all a result of him getting into a Ibuprophen (motrin, advil, etc) based medication.

Just a reminder that what may appear to be a wonder drug to us can kill our furkids if we're not extra careful.
Karen_P
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Ibuprophen and Tylenol

Postby Dave » Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:38 pm

Thanks for posting that . My vet told me tylenol is about as bad for dogs also . Aspirin is good for them as it is for us though . My old dog was on aspirin for her arthritis . As with humans use coated variety as it's not as hard on their stomach . :D Dave
Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Myra » Sat Jul 17, 2004 6:37 am

I've always been told that you should give dogs buffered aspirin, not enteric-coated aspirin, as a dog's digestive system is so short that a dog digests it too fast for the coating to wear off (and thus doesn't absorb it into his system).

From www.peteducation.com -- "Use buffered aspirin, not enteric-coated aspirin (the coating can decrease the absorption of aspirin from the intestines in dogs)."
Myra
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby Dave » Sat Jul 17, 2004 10:09 am

Myra ,
Thanks , We learn new stuff every day . I'll use the non-coated now .
Dave
Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Karen_P » Sat Jul 17, 2004 10:56 am

I know when Zach had atumor removed from his foot last year, my vet sent him home with a couple days of Rimadyl and then said to use just regular buffered aspirin for pain control if necessary...no coating, just buffered.
Karen_P
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Karen_P » Thu Jul 22, 2004 4:25 pm

Sheesh! I started this thread less than a week ago, bought a new bottle of Advil, threw it in my purse, and threw my purse on a trunk in the livingroom corner like I always do! Thank goodness the boys didn't decide to explore my purse, but how stupid can you be?
Karen_P
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Dave » Thu Jul 22, 2004 6:56 pm

Hi , On that note , we have to be careful with our meds . I have numerous heart meds any of which would be fatal if one of my dogs got ahold of them . My wife said she found my med box in the middle of the living room floor today . You want to talk about a heart stopper !!I'm glad it was intact . My foster has a bad habit of pulling stuff off counters and the table :? Dave
Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Return to Health/Medical