Young Arthritis

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Young Arthritis

Postby Gunner » Wed Aug 25, 2004 2:26 pm

Hi everyone...

Well after a very scary Sunday night (Gunner all of a sudden couldn't walk on his right front leg) Gunner was diagnosed on Monday with severe degenerative arthritis in his right front carpas (wrist). He is only 5 years old.

He is on Rimadyl for pain and is starting glucosamine & chondroitin for joint therapy to help prevent future damage and possibly repair the old.

Has anyone else had to deal with arthritis at a younger age in their dog? Or for those with seniors with arthritis how are you managaing it? Or anyone with feedback on the effectiveness of glucosamine?

It's heart breaking that he's going to have to slow down a lot now (shorter walks and no more crazy burn-outs) as he's such an active fellow. And of course I worry about his future as the rest of him is healthy and should live a long life (I hate to see him arthritic with so many potential years to go).

Thanks!
Leslie and Gunner
Gunner
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Postby Cindy » Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:01 pm

My old dog Casey has very bad arthritis in her legs and spine. We've had her on Corta-Flx for almost 2 years and she hasn't limped a bit since about 1 month after I started her on it. They make a canine version but I use the horse version since it's less expensive and comes in a powder form that I can just sprinkle over her food. She weighs about 50 pounds and I gave her 2/3 teaspoon/day for the first 10 days and 1/4 teaspoon/day ever since. It might not work in every case but it sure did for Casey.
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby Mary Ann » Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:15 pm

Our old brit had bad arthritis and I gave her the glucosomine when i took it and it helped her. She still had her crazy bouts and could still do some hikinn with some rests.
Hang in there and I hope Gunner feels better!
Mary Ann
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Postby juliette » Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:41 pm

My senior takes a glucosamine/chondroitin supplement, and he is much more active, and seems less "achey" than before. This site has a good explaination of how each works, and mentions that some research suggests that the combo of the two is better than either alone.

One thing though, a recent consumer studyfound that some pet formulations that say they contain chondroitin, the more expennsive of the two products, in fact contained none of it.
juliette
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

A note of caution...

Postby Brenda Dom » Wed Aug 25, 2004 5:14 pm

Leslie said:

He is on Rimadyl for pain and is starting glucosamine & chondroitin for joint therapy to help prevent future damage and possibly repair the old.

I have used Rimadyl in the past, both short and long term, and would do so again if I believe a condition warranted it. That being said, I need to ask you if your vet gave you any information on the Rimadyl? And did he do any blood tests to check kidney and liver function?

Many dogs have actually died from Rimadyl treatment... There's a whole list of warning signs. Barb posted a website that has some good information about Rimadyl:

http://www.srdogs.com/

The most tragic thing about these deaths is that the owners are trying to help their animals and end up administering the thing that kills them, usually without having ever been warned of the dangers....

Brenda Dom
Kelcy, Susie, Bodie and Max
"Some of us learn forgiveness by studying the lives of saints. And some of us keep dogs. . . ." - Charles Gusewelle
Brenda Dom
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Postby Dave » Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:16 pm

I'm sorry Gunner has this at 5yrs. :( My old dog had arthritis the last years of her life and Glucosomine worked fairly well for her . Short term Predidisone works wonders , but the side effects long term suck . My vet gives what he termed a traveling dose Fairly high dose and taper off quickly . This works better in young dogs as compared to old . I have Rheumatoid arthritis myself , so I understand what they go through . Good luck and give him a big pet for us :P DAVE
Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Gunner » Thu Aug 26, 2004 9:05 am

Thank you so much everyone!!!

Brenda...oh yes I know all about that Rimadyl. I used to be a tech when that first hit the market, was the "wonder drug" next big thing back then. She's only given us a week's worth to get us through this bought so we're not too worried. She was going to have me just give buffered aspirin but I told her I had done that Sunday night and Monday morning but it didn't help at all so we tried the Rimadyl which seems to be doing great. And then we're going to see for the future if he's hurting on what we're going to give him (either try the aspirin again or Rimadyl on an as-needed basis). Oh and we did do bloodwork (also ruled out Lyme with blood work too). He has a sensative tummy too so we're keeping an eye on that too.

He's looking much better as of this morning. He's back to harrassing the cats last night so he's mentally better too! So we're just hoping now that the glucosamine/chondroitin will work the wonders that the vet seems to think it will. We'll keep our fingers crossed!

Thanks again!
Leslie & Gunner
Gunner
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Postby Sandy » Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:28 pm

Leslie, I was so sorry to read about Gunner. I know from your posts how much you love that guy and what a character he is. Glad to see he is feeling better and I hope the Glucosamine works well. I have read wonderful things about that. I'll look through my stash of WDJ, I seem to remember a recent article about arthritis. If I find anything interesting I'll let you know. It is so hard so see our babies in pain. I hate that. Best wishes for Gunner.
Sandy
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Postby Gunner » Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:59 am

Thanks Sandy!

About 8pm last night he was starting to hobble a bit so I asked my father (who watches him during the day while I work, Gunner daycare) if he had given him his meds when he fed him dinner and he had forgotten.

So I'm curious to see how he's going to be pain wise when he's done with the Rimadyl on Monday. Will keep everyone posted.

Thanks again for all the best wishes! There's definitely no lack of love in Gunner's life. We're spoiling him more rotten than ever (probably more than is good for him) LOL!

Leslie and the Gunner dog
Gunner
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Return to Health/Medical