Is your brittany getting lumpy in their senior years?

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Is your brittany getting lumpy in their senior years?

Postby Dakota » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:49 pm

Our female brittany Dakota is now 11 and she started getting lumpy around 8. They are fatty masses under the skin and are what the vet calls Lipomas which he terms as "keepers". As she gets older I get more and more concerned when I find a new one... I have learned in rescue to cherish every second with my "fur kids"!!!

Do any of your brittany's have them???
Is this common of brittany's as I don't remember our lab having them at all....
Image[/URL]
Dakota
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby AuntieMom » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:20 pm

Our Brittany, Diamond, chose to move to Texas with our daughter. She always did like our daughter best. :oops: Anyway ... Diamond will be 14 in June and has a couple of fatty lumps. One of my foster dogs is almost 12, he has some lumps too.
AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Barb Wright » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:34 pm

My understanding is that Lipomas (benign fatty tumors) are common to most breeds, and older dogs in particular. Cassie has two...one is on her left hip and is about the size of 1/2 golf ball. The other is quite small and on her chest..in fact small enough I have a hard time finding it to check its' size.

I had the larger one aspirated.....they stick a very fine needle in and pull out a sample and check for cells, cancerous or otherwise. With hers all the Vet saw was fat cells....whew :) Hers has grown just a little in the last year and a half, and though it still is not attached (I can move it around a little) I am going to have it aspirated again in a few days. My feeling is to keep a close eye on the these thingies for size and substance....better safe than sorry as these can easily be mast cell tumors which are deadly.

I've heard some theories about why lipomas appear, but nothing definitive enough that I would want to pass them on :? It seems one just needs to keep an eye on them to make sure they don't change fast or take on different characteristics. Almost everything I have read says that unless the lump is interfering with movement or in a spot where it is causing irritation or problems such as pressure against some part of the body, that it okay to leave them as long as they remain benign.
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby Dave » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:58 pm

Angie had them since she was about 8 and probably before . My vet said leave them alone , but watch them . I think she got tired of me messing with them :roll: . I lost her to lung cancer two years ago . Things like "Maybe I didn't watch closely enough " go through your mind . I miss her everyday . 8) Dave
Last edited by Dave on Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers
Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Canned Ice » Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:45 pm

Lipomas are common in humans too. Athletic women are more prone to them. I have one on each side of my spine at my hips. (Two years rooming with a med student and you just pick some things up.) They're nothing to really worry about. They don't hurt to mess with and they're just fat so they won't rupture.
Buckley - I own this mountain.
Canned Ice
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby DougG » Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:08 pm

We had a Britt that was 13.5 that we had to put down last September, but not due to lipomas of course.

Murphy had quite a number of them. In fact we'd lovingly call her lumpy. She had one in particular that was growing on her abdomen close to one of her rear legs. When it got the point where it was causing problems when she had to pee, it was time to take it out.

The mass was about the size of a softball. I think the vet was impressed with how much was in there because she put it in a ziplock bag and showed me. Pretty gross. I didn't really have to see that. Must be a doctor thing I guess.

So I guess the rule of thumb with lipomas is that as long as they don't cause any problems, leave'em.
DougG
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Postby Cindy » Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:39 pm

In fact we'd lovingly call her lumpy.

We used the same name on our dogs when they got old and lumpy. And sometimes we even called them "lumpy grumpy"!! They ALL developed fatty lipomas but they were nothing to worry about.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Ia your brittany getting lumpy

Postby Dakota » Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:57 pm

Thank you all so much for your words of reassurance. I think when you see the good and bad of rescue and in talking to applicants who have just lost their britt, you start to second guess yourself!

Rescue has brought alot of great dogs through my front door and has given me the opportunity to meet some awesome people.... For that I am thankful!!!!

Thanks again everyone for reassuring me.... Dakota will also be glad for me to stop playing with the lumpies!!!
Image[/URL]
Dakota
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby Lorie » Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:06 pm

So far so good Micky is not lumpy, I check them all out a couple times a week for anything unusual.
Lorie

"Yesterday I was a dog. Today I'm a dog. Tomorrow I will probably be a dog. Sigh! There's so little room for advancement."
Snoopy
Lorie
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Susan Eldridge » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:14 pm

:| My Blue heeler (Jake), received his first lump last year when he was 10yrs old. I was really concerned and took him to the vet the next day, and like everyone else's vets, she told me to not to worry about it and have it checked yearly. Now he has more of them, but not as big as the first one. This was my first encounter with the lumps, and it can be scarry not knowing.
Susan Eldridge
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Return to Health/Medical