Swollen Paw- Too tight vet wrap?

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Swollen Paw- Too tight vet wrap?

Postby Mark » Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:35 am

So last week, Monty had his teeth cleaned. Where they put the IV in, they shaved a patch, and it was itchy, so Monty kept trying to lick at it. The Vet suggested I wrap it in Vet Wrap, so I did. I think I may have wrapped it too tight last night, as when we woke up this morning, his whole paw, below the vet wrap was quite swollen. I of course, took the Vet wrap off, and the skin on his paw looked quite pale. Within a few minutes, it was back to being nice and pink, and it *looks* like the swelling is starting to go down (it has only been about 30 minutes). Any thoughts on this? Is it pretty safe to say that it was probably the vet wrap, and possibly how he slept on it? If the swelling does go down is it simply lesson learned, and move on? Or do I need to be worried about other issues, and take him into the Emergency Vet today?
Wheeeeeeeee!!!

Monty.
He's so hot right now.
Monty.
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Swollen Paw- Too tight vet wrap?

Postby Cindy » Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:42 am

I'd just keep an eye on him. Vet wrap is a great invention but it's easy to over tighten it. Is he using the foot and walking OK? If so, just pay attention to it today and my hope it all will be OK.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby Tyrone_MN » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:33 am

Yeah, just as Cindy said, keep an eye today, making sure the swelling goes down, and Monty should be OK. How old is he?

-Steve
Ty - May '95 - Sept '09 Brett - Dec '09
Tyrone_MN
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Postby Barb Wright » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:09 am

Mark wrote:...Within a few minutes, it was back to being nice and pink, and it *looks* like the swelling is starting to go down (it has only been about 30 minutes). Any thoughts on this? Is it pretty safe to say that it was probably the vet wrap, and possibly how he slept on it? If the swelling does go down is it simply lesson learned, and move on? Or do I need to be worried about other issues, and take him into the Emergency Vet today?

The fact that the swelling is already decreasing is your GOOD positive sign. NOT a coincidence. Yep, probably the vet wrap. Yep, lesson learned, just watch it for continued improvement. Nope, if it was my dog I would just keep watching for the paw to return to normal. You would need to be concerned if the swelling continued, if the foot got tender or he refused to put weight on it, but even then I would just wait until regular vet hours....if there was some infection brewing, and Monty is in good health otherwise, it probably would not get away from you between now and tomorrow JMPO :)
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby janet909 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:20 am

I agree with everyone !!! It is EASY to wrap it too tight. We use it on people every day and they swell up too. Just watch things. As long as the paw continues to look normal and not be painful, things should be just fine.
janet909
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Mark » Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:14 pm

Thanks everyone. The paw is back to normal, and at no point did it seem uncomfortable to him- he never limped or anything. Phew..
Wheeeeeeeee!!!

Monty.
He's so hot right now.
Monty.
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby janet909 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:10 pm

I've been thinking about your vet wrap post and thought I'd throw out a concept for folks who use it.....and it IS the greatest thing out there !!!! When wrapping a limb with vet wrap, one should never be pulling it tight while wrapping. It's designed to tighten and cling on it's own just by the substance that it's made with. Don't apply too loose but don't wrap anything tightly. Sometimes, it happens inadvertantly just because you're pulling it off the roll while wrapping thus it's getting applied tightly. If you're unsure, unwrap a piece off the roll before wrapping it, gently and evenly, on your dog. Then, when you are down to the last 1/4 to 1/2 inch, give it a gentle pull so that the end clings and holds without tape. Of course, if you're pet is hemorrhaging from a wound, wrap it tight until you get to definitive care. It's great for pressure dressings. Just thought I'd throw that out there.
janet909
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby lotsadogsmt » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:25 pm

My vet taught me to allways use a pad and several wraps of gauze under the vet wrap and not to pull it, to avoid overtightening. Try vet wrap on your self sometime (there's just one first aid box at our house: cats/horses/dogs/humans) and you'll see how quickly it gets uncomfortable w/o something under it. Also, I usually check paw pads for warmth about 20 minutes after putting it on. Stick your finger between them and assuming the dog hasn't been out in the snow, you'll feel a little warmth.
lotsadogsmt
Puppy

Postby Kourtnie » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:23 pm

HELP!!! I did wrapped my cats back paw last night and didn't know it was too tight till this morning. The paw is swollen and she's in pain. Not really wanting to put weight on the foot. The wrap has been off for about 2 hours at this point. 1:30pm PST The wrap was on for about 12 hours. How long should I give it before I take her to the vet? She's resting but I can tell when she dozes too deeply, she lifts the foot up due to the pain.
Kourtnie
Puppy

Postby gagesbarb » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:37 pm

I can't really give you any advice directly, but what I would do is call the emergency vet and ask...the emergency vets here are
good about talking things through and advising what too look for, or whether to wait or come in...they seem honest...I've had them say we need to bring the
animal in or we can wait until the next day and check with our vet...
let us know what happens...
gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby Kourtnie » Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:39 pm

Thanks, the swelling is going down, she seems much more comfortable, putting a bit of weight on the foot when I made her get up and stand. She's sleeping and letting the foot relax completely so I think she's on the mend.
Kourtnie
Puppy

Postby gagesbarb » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:02 pm

good to hear...thanks for letting us know...
good reminder to read through about how to use the vet wrap...
thanks again everyone! (interesting that the original question was from a couple years ago...
also good reminder about the search function and how much knowledge is on this forum)
gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby Barb Wright » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:20 pm

gagesbarb wrote:....also good reminder about the search function and how much knowledge is on this forum)

That is soooo TRUE. So many hands on experiences, and even though there are newer and more informed ways to do some things, the "past" has a lot to offer also. Using the "search" function does present much that is not mentioned on many of the sites we use for research. Thanks for the good reminder to go back to check on posts about "what worked for us" then, and might just work now too :)
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Return to Health/Medical