A boy-dog question

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

A boy-dog question

Postby plkoslov » Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:56 pm

I'm concerned because about a half-inch of Beau's penis seems to be visible all the time. This has been going on for a couple weeks, and it looks like it's getting kind of dried out from being exposed to the air so much. He does have a fatty tumor at the side of his penis, and I'm wondering if that could be impacting the ability of the penis to pull back in completely. (he is neutered.) Is it time for a visit to the vet, do you think???
Beau
[Image
Life is So Hard....
plkoslov
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Re: A boy-dog question

Postby janet909 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:36 pm

I am absolutely no expert but if this is new and it appears that the tip of his penis is getting dried out, I would take him to the vet. It is definitely possible that the fatty tumor is preventing him from retracting his penis back into the sheath completely. This would be concerning not just for the drying out factor but if you live somewhere cold, he could get it frostbit which would be a problem as well as painful.

Well, I just know noticed that you live in LA so frostbite is probably not a factor but I would get him checked anyway.
janet909
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Barb Wright » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:05 pm

I had a friend who had this problem with her Poodle, no tumor (which may be taking up some of the area of the sheath), just an old age thing where the sheath had lost it's "elasticity". She had to lubricate the penis several times a day to keep it from drying and being painful. I imagine there are various causes for this affliction....definitely a vet visit to find out just what is happening, and why, and what you can do about it.
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby plkoslov » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:17 pm

Thanks for your thoughts - no, we definitely don't have to worry about frostbite here :wink: I can't imagine it won't start bothering him pretty soon, but right now he doesn't seem to care. But I will take him to the vet when the holiday fuss is over.
Beau
[Image
Life is So Hard....
plkoslov
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Return to Health/Medical