New pup diarrhea

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

New pup diarrhea

Postby brit12 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:15 pm

After Rocky died I wasn't going to get another dog. Needless to say.....We have a Cavalier King Charles/Brittany mix. We got a rescue 6mos old. His name is Creed. I tried what vet said, then rice, then chamomile tea, his stool is soft but starts out ok then diarrhea. This little guy is so cute. Any suggestions?
brit12
Puppy

Re: New pup diarrhea

Postby Barb Wright » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:05 pm

Congratulations on your new family member....and soooo good of you to rescue. Creed is one of the lucky ones :) You didn't say how long you have had him, but if it is less than a week he may still be a bit stressed with his changed world and that could cause the loose stools. Have you had his stool checked for parasites? Maybe the vet already did that?? Otherwise, if you are feeding twice a day....should be as he is still young enough and actually twice a day is easier on the digestive system for older dogs as well....maybe go to smaller meals 3-4 times a day if you can work that out. Stop making changes to the meals, settle on a diet regime and stick with that for a few weeks until the bowels settle. If you are feeding a dry kibble (which should best be high quality and grain free) I would recommend soaking it or adding some canned dog food so that the meal is moist.....this is much easier on the digestive system than having to bodily supply all the moisture to make a digestible slurry. Then if this settles the bowels down and you want to incorporate high quality nutritional supplements such as eggs, cooked fish, raw meats, etc., do it gradually and in small amounts, by the tablespoon initially increasing to 1/4 or 1/2 cup. Just a few thoughts to try.
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Re: New pup diarrhea

Postby gagesbarb » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:05 am

Just saw this...as usual, Barb has great suggestions, I think...maybe also a probiotic, although I think Barb's suggestion of not changing too much at once is excellent...when we adopted JJ, it took several months for his system to settle down...we tried different things, but in retrospect, I think he was just very stressed, even though he also seemed to be a very happy, outgoing dog...let us know how he does :D
gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Return to Health/Medical