Maddie's Tongue

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Maddie's Tongue

Postby Rachelle » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:17 pm

Last week we took our older GSP Maddie in to get her teeth cleaned. The teeth cleaning went great but when she was under the vet found a growth on her tongue about the size of a garbanzo bean (the vet's description). Of course we had the vet remove it and sent it in for a biopsy. Unfortunately the results showed that it is most likely a sarcoma. I don't know what type. Our vet is going to mail me a copy of the lab report. She did say that it looked to be very low grade and that the biopsy showed she got all of it but with narrower margins than she would have liked. She got 2mm around the growth but she didn't want to take a bunch of tissue from her tongue without knowing what it was. Maddie now has a few sutures in her tongue and we're going to have to continue to watch it and have rechecks every 3 months. It was far enough back on the tongue that the vet missed it when Maddie had her annual exam in June and I can't even see her sutures without having my husband hold her down and then prying her mouth open. Poor old girl.

Maddie is our mellow sweetheart. We adopted her 9 years ago and she's been the buddy of our three brits who have all passed away. Please think good thoughts for Maddie and keep your fingers crossed for us that the sarcoma doesn't come back.
Henry
Rachelle
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Re: Maddie's Tongue

Postby dmedric » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:17 pm

Sending positive thoughts to Maddie. I hope they got it all and that she will be just fine.

Donna
dmedric
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby Cindy » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:30 am

You know you can count on the power of positive thoughts from this group. Eeeks, my mouth hurts just thinking about having stitches in my tongue.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby rtropeano » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:11 am

Healing thoughts are being sent your way wishing Maddie a speedy recovery.
Rose

"I didn't do nothing, Mama!"
Daisy Mae, CGC, TDI, CTL1-F
rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Barb Wright » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:29 am

Hopefully the biopsy report will be able to relieve your mind about how serious/dangerous the lump was....positive vibes headed your way for a good report and for Maddie to get well fast.
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby Canned Ice » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:42 am

Heal quickly, Ms. Maddie. Hopefully the vet was able to get adequate margins and the lump will be gone for good.
Buckley - I own this mountain.
Canned Ice
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby holisticmom » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:04 pm

Healing energy being sent your way!
The point of [dog guardianship] is to open oneself to becoming partly a dog...Edward Hoagland
holisticmom
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Return to Health/Medical