reaccuring Stys on both eyes

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

reaccuring Stys on both eyes

Postby doglover216 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:22 pm

Please Help! I have a beautiful orange & white 5yr old Brittany. We do not hunt with a gun but he is always hunting. We have had him from a puppy. His name is Rocky short for Scotch on the Rocks. He eats a blend of Eukanuba Natural and Pro Plan Selects. And he loves cheese crackers. This startedabout 8 months ago. He had a fenced in yard in Ohio that he chased birds & squirrels and dug for moles.He came in and I noticed his eye looked like it was bleeding. He went to the vet that day and I was told his eye wasn't bleeding just running. He scratched his lens or a moles foot scratched his lens. Antibiotics and eye drops. It seemed to clear up. A week or so later he looked like he had a sty.
The vet said eye drops and compresses. He got better. A few days later another sty but on the other eye. We thought it was from sticking his head in the mole holes.Vet said give him six Benedryl a day. We thought it worked. We sold house and are in Florida and he now sticks head in turtle holes. He is still getting the stys on his eyes sometimes both eyes at the same time. I don't know what to do. The vet doesn't no what to do. HELP. Is this common in Brits.? :?
Thank you
doglover216
doglover216
Puppy

Re: reaccuring Stys on both eyes

Postby Barb Wright » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:29 am

Well Doglover, looks like nobody has had this exact problem to be able to pass on some personal experience. I confess that "styes" is not something I have ever come across as well. Not a Britt thing, but rather a dog thing.

Did a little research, not much there either, but from what you report it seems that there is a recurring infection either from bacteria or possibly a fungus of some kind. It comes and goes so the body is working at getting rid of it....that is what the stye is, a corraling of the bad stuff and trying to expel it from the body. I think the vet needs to take a smear of the goop that is in the stye and see if s/he can determine the origin, bacterial, fungal, maybe even viral, dunno. They may or may not be able to do that test in-house, and it might even be expensive, no clue.

What I would do, while you are trying to find out what is the underlying reason for the problem, would be to get a simple eye wash/drops solution that can be used frequently during the day, especially after a visit to the out-of-doors. And then first thing each morning and last thing each night before bedtime. Similiasan (brand name) for allergy eye or dry eye is a good brand and the drops can be used often or as required. This will help keep the eyes rinsed out, especially if the cause is from something environmental, that is, from outside the body.

You might also get on a program of immune system support since this may be a symptom of a systemic imbalance. A good probiotic, such as Acidophilus, preferably in powder form, added to at least one meal a day would be beneficial. Also, a small raw garlic clove crushed and added to one meal a day would be beneficial. If you use the garlic it is suggested that after 2-3 weeks that you begin to pulse it, meaning give it every 2-3 days rather than every day. These are proactive and will do no harm.

I am assuming that the vets have ruled out "cherry eye", ingrown eyelashes, and turned-under eye lids. You seem to have made a connection with his hunting habits....being an "earth dog" is not all that unusual for a Britt, or any canine hunter :wink:

Good luck....I hope you will keep us in the loop about what you find out and if you are able to solve the problem. We can all learn from your experience.
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby doglover216 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:33 pm

Thank you Barb for the help. Rocky's Eyes are doing great. I took Rocky to his vet and $200+ later after several weeks he is finally looking good. I got the Acidophilus tablets and the Similasan Allergy eye drops. He is still taking 6 Benedryl a day plus 2 500mg Cephalexiin capsules for 20 days. And a prescription eye drops. The Vet said all the glands at the end of his eye lashes were blocked. He popped the stye and alot of junk came out he tried to pop it again and more stuff came out then blood and he cried, so the vet washed his eye out and put drops in and gave him some meds. I stopped the eye compresses now and he is doing fine. The vet wants me to keep him updated after he finishes the antibiotic. I plan to keep up with the Acidophilus and eye drops and Benedrly. Wish me luck.
doglover216
Puppy

Postby PCTech01 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:23 pm

I love your naming convention for dogsI :D

I too am suffering from an eye stye right now! I wii give some of the annoitments a try and give you some feedback!

PCTech
PCTech01
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby doglover216 » Sun May 05, 2013 10:20 am

Rocky is still stye free. He is still on Acidophilus & Benedryl but he only needs 2 Benedryl rather then 6.
doglover216
Puppy

Return to Health/Medical