Lymphoma

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Lymphoma

Postby mfletcher » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:36 pm

Hi

My 8 year old boy, Cooper was diagnosed with Hi Grade Lymphoma last week. We started Chemotherapy this week. He seems to be tolerating it well and seems pretty normal other than swollen lymph nodes. His appetite is good and he is peeing alot because part of protocal is prednisone. I have been doing some research on internet and the oncology vet we are seeing in TC gave me lots of information. I am very comfortable with clinin and vet after 1st visit. I was just wondering if anyone on the board has had any experience with this cancer and chemo treatment and could give me any other information resources or suggestions to help get my guy through this treatment and beyond. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

Missy Barr
ABR MN
"the boys" - Cooper (l) and Maverick
mfletcher
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Re: Lymphoma

Postby janet909 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:57 am

I don't have any information or help to give you but I'm sure that someone on the board will chime in soon. I do wish you the best of luck with Cooper. I hope he responds well to treatment. Please let us know how things go.
janet909
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Cindy » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:22 am

So sorry to hear about Cooper. I don't have any experience with this either (thank god) but have done a bit of reading about chemo with dogs. From what I've read, it seems that they tolerate it fairly well and the success rate is also favorable. I'm certainly not sure about Cooper's particular issue though, but I wish you the best of luck and please keep us posted.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby lanem688 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:41 pm

Hi Missy,
Sorry to hear about Cooper. I dealt with lymphoma earlier this year in my 1 year old boy. How is Cooper doing? I know this thread is a few weeks old now so you have probably been through a few treatments. I feel like I know more about lymphoma than I ever wanted to. Are you doing the CHOP protocol?

The good news is dogs handle the treatment very well. Murphy was his same ole self throughout his entire treatment. Let me know if you have any questions or just want to chat. Please keep me up to date on how he is doing!

Lane
lanem688
Puppy

Postby mfletcher » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:57 pm

Hi
Thanks for the post. Up until now no one on board had exeprience with the treatment. We are 1/2 way through 1st round of CHOP protocol with a total of 4 cylces to go through. So far he is tolerating pretty well - his lymph nodes were smaller after 1st injection treatment and after 2nd IV treatment and at home oral chemos his lymphnodes were normal today when he went in for 3rd IV treatment. He had a little bout with diahrea and seems a little tired but mostly normal. He still chases squirrels when they are in the yard so he is still more than interested in life. He is 8 years old so a lot less energy than your one year old. Probably the worst part has been the time he has been on prednisone - so hungry and thirsty and peeing alot but we are almost done with that and I am sure he will be happy. So every other week we drive 2 hours for an IV treatment and hope for the best. He is responding well and all we can ever hope for is to give them the best treatment and chance at life. And pray.

How long has murphy been done with his treatment? what do they do to monitor his remission? I am going to Blue Pearl referral medicine. They have several clinics nationwide and I have been very impressed with the staff and the vet. Gave me some hope for 1st time when we got there.

I will keep Murphy in my prayers too. I may have other questions and want to reach out again later - i have been so busy with his treatment and holidays. I appreciate your taking the time to post.

Missy
mfletcher
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Postby lanem688 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:53 am

Unfortunately Murphy didn't respond to any of the treatments. We started with the CHOP protocol with no response to any of the drugs. We also tried lomustine (the oral) to no response. After giving the the initial drugs a try we switched to doxorubicin which he only responded mildly to. He was on prednisone for the remainder. Murphy had an extremely rare case that originated in his eye and was very fast moving. It was a terrible time for us, he was diagnosed April 20 and died June 9.

We went to Blue Pearl also and I cannot say enough good things about them. The staff was excellent I couldn't have wished for better.

It sounds like Cooper is doing great, considering. Thinking about you and praying Cooper will be in remission soon!
lanem688
Puppy

Postby mfletcher » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:04 pm

Oh Lane, I am so sorry about Murphy. I am sure that was a terrible time for you. I am sure you apprecated what time you had with him as I am sure he did too.

I feel fortunate that Cooper seems to be responding and quickly. He has only had a couple of down days with the diahrea and otherwise seems pretty normal. The Dr has said tho that even though he responded so quickly it is not an indicator that he will be in remission longer necessarily. Therefore I continue to try to keep up my positive thoughts because Coop is a sensitive guy and doesn't like it when I am upset in anyway. He is such a trooper and so i wll continue to pray and hope he is one of the lucky ones.

if you don't mind my asking, which clinic did you go to? Did they give you info on full body radiation? Also did you consider this bone marrow therapy? it says there is a 30% cure rate but dog has to be in remission. Just wondering if you have any thoughts about those treatments once remission is achieved.

Thanks
Missy
mfletcher
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Postby mfletcher » Thu May 16, 2013 1:35 pm

Hi all

I feel terrible that I have not posted about Cooper's condition during the treatment for Lymphoma after the support I received from those on the board. It was a very busy time - 5 hour round trips every other week for the duration. I am happy to report that Cooper is in remission and really never missed hardly a beat through the chemo treatments. He is chasing squirrels, walking, pigging out on everything in sight and getting fuzzy again. He lost some coat during treatment but it is filling in now. He has lots of energy and feels good. I am so thankful for how well he did with treatment and am now praying he stays in remission for a long time or is even one of the lucky 3% cured. I am so glad we were in a position to pursue treatment and that vet care has come such a long way. At this time he is on a daily oral low-dose maintenance chemo, chinese herbs (circuvet) and turkey tail mushroom supplement as well as low carb diet. The oncology team at Blue Pearl in MN is awesome. Sorry for the taking so long to update.

Missy
mfletcher
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Postby Barb Wright » Thu May 16, 2013 1:39 pm

Welcome news....thanks for bringing us up to date on Cooper :) Interesting protocol, soooo glad it is working well :)
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby Cindy » Thu May 16, 2013 3:14 pm

Always love to hear good stories - thanks! And I hope Cooper is one of the 3%!!
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby janet909 » Fri May 17, 2013 6:26 pm

That is FANTASTIC news !!!!! You must be so relieved. Success stories are always so wonderful. I'm really happy for you and Cooper !!!!
janet909
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Return to Health/Medical