Antifreeze

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Antifreeze

Postby Barb Wright » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:35 am

U.S. manufacturers of antifreeze and engine coolant have agreed to voluntarily begin adding bittering agents to their products to discourage pets, children and wildlife from sampling the sweet-tasting liquid. Several states already have passed legislation requiring the addition of bittering agents, and it was announced by Consumer Specialty Products Association that the industry will now voluntarily add bitter tasting agents to the products for sale in all 50 states. It is estimated that from 10,000 to 90,000 animals are poisoned each year by antifreeze spills or from coolant products left in unsealed containers. Manufacturers will add bitter tasting denatonium benzoate to antifreeze and coolant products sold nationwide.

This is good news of course and hopefully it will be a real and effective deterrant to animals and children. I am curious about the statistics since an 80,000 spread is pretty big....and also wondering if they know for sure that it will really deter animals, and if so, how did they determine that? Anyway, it sounds like a good step forward but we should not assume that vigilance can be dropped. Bitter apple is a good example of why continued vigilance is necessary as we all know some dogs like Bitter Apple, and that might hold true for denatonium benzoate :(
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Re: Antifreeze

Postby Cindy » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:41 am

Well it's about time! This always seemed like a no brainer to me but who am I to say :roll: :roll:
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Re: Antifreeze

Postby kat » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:30 pm

And it's such a horrible, certain death. We had a pup in the hospital for 4 days because we found him standing by a small spot of suspected antifreeze and back then, if you didn't treat immediately, it was hopeless. We couldn't take the chance that it was antifreeze (probably) or that he ingested any (not likely, but...). I can't believe this has taken so long.
My mom is a Kat - How cool is that?
kat
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Return to Health/Medical