promoting hair growth?

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

promoting hair growth?

Postby MaggieRocks » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:20 pm

Don't know if I mentioned it, but Sammy managed to scratch his butt squeezing under a wooden gate that I didn't think he could possibly fit through! After about a week, he started biting at his rump so we ended up at the vet. It has now almost healed and he doesn't have to wear the cone anymore. But....the vet shaved the area, so of course, he has a partly bald rump and it has been extremely cold.

Are there any kinds of vitamins or supplements I can give him that might help the hair grow back faster? Actually, I think it bothers me more than it bothers him, but.....any suggestions?
MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Re: promoting hair growth?

Postby Cindy » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:23 pm

I think the hair will grow back soon enough. From my experience, it seems like it's not growing at all and then the next day the hair is there. But you're right, I'm sure it bothers you more that Sammy!
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby MaggieRocks » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:55 am

Yeah, truth be told, I don't think it bothers him AT ALL! :lol: But each time I take him out to pee or for a walk, I get cold just looking at his little naked butt!
MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby adele » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:07 am

Well, if his butt is cold maybe his body will respond by hurrying the fur growth along? Maybe. Lola's brother spends more time outside than Lola (he's out all day) and his coat is thicker. So I assume the body has some kind of ability to adjust.

It's a good thing nudity doesn't embarrass them.
adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Lisa » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:14 am

I've found that increasing fat in a diet seems to help increase fur growth and thickness.

There are all kinds of coat supplements out there that you can buy. I'm not sure how effective they are. Sometimes, I think they work, sometimes I'm not sure. Most of the supplements are high in fat, though.
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD
Lisa

Postby Barb Wright » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:14 pm

Just a comment about fat.....fat is an essential part of a dogs diet. It is what the body uses first for energy, closely followed by (or maybe preceeded by) many body functions, MANY body functions. But, ( BIG BUT), IT MUST BE ANIMAL FAT !!!! Dogs do not utilize vegetable fats well at all, so, any product you buy that has vegetable fat as the source of fat is wasted money for the most part. And this includes vegetable/herbal oils added to commercial dog food, pretty much wasted on dogs. Salmon oil is an easy source of animal fat to add to a dogs' diet. You can get raw suet from a butcher shop and add that to the diet. Fatty meats like hamburger/lamb/pork which of course are best fed raw, but if you feel you must cook it it must be cooked at a very low temp (125-145 temp range) so that you don't change the nutrient values/properties.

Hair growth is determined by genetics....you cannot make a dog grow MORE hair than his genetics have programmed. Poor health and poor/inadequate nutrition can cause LESS hair, but you can't make more hair. Health notwithstanding, climate can to a certain extent affect what the body WILL produce, but not what the body is ABLE to produce. I've had Huskies who lived outdoors in Alaska that had very thin coats and the coldest weather did not give them any more density....they had what they had. I've known Siberians that lived in warmer climes not develop much coat, but when moved to cold country produced more coat. The genetics were there, but the demand for coat was not called upon in a warm climate.

When you add animal fat to a diet that has been low in fat and you see improvement in coat and energy levels then you know that the diet was deficient in animal fat. BTW dogs do not get overweight from animal fat, they get overweight from carbohydrates. There are some really excellent articles on this subject at http://www.b-naturals.com/newsletter/

Sammy will soon look normal....that's the good thing about a "bad haircut", it does grow out again :P :wink:
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Return to Health/Medical