Happily Keeping Arthritis at Bay

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Happily Keeping Arthritis at Bay

Postby LMayhew » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:56 pm

I've posted a bit about our efforts to keep Darby's arthritis at bay. He'll be 12 at the end of the month. We've made lots of changes so he can run and play comfortably - we switched to a partial raw diet and have been doing cold laser therapy and making sure that he gets walked every day. It's been helping quite a bit. But in the past few weeks, I have been incorporating some running into our walks. It started one day one day when there were some turkey vultures in the middle of road - Darby got so excited, we ran at them. And we kept on running afterwards, cause he was just so excited. (Unlike the old days, I can actually keep up with him when he runs now). The next day, the turkey vulture were still there, so we ran at them again. I was worried that he would be stiff or sore, but the next day he was just fine.

He was so so happy after running, I started doing some running spurts with him. We run for about 15 seconds and then walk for like 5 minutes. Our typical walk area bout 2 miles and we do about 4 -5 spurts on a good day. Some days he's a little tired and not too into it, so I don't push him. Other days, he's just really really excited and those days we run a little more. But overall, our little running spurts have elevated his mood so much - more tail wagging, more playing, more Brittany goofiness. I am so excited for him! But I also just wanted to share this story with anyone else trying to keep their older puppy limber.
LMayhew
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Re: Happily Keeping Arthritis at Bay

Postby StFrost » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:14 pm

I agree with the running! Our own Britt is almost 16--we have her on a no grain diet, canned pumpkin for dinner, glucosamine once a day, and we run her at least 2 miles every day (her only breaks are when we go hiking). Although her recovery time is quite long, she sleeps all day afterwards, she is in better shape now than when we got her over 5 years ago; then, she couldn't walk after any exertion at all. It seems the harder we work her, the better she gets!

Keep it Up.
StFrost
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Re: Happily Keeping Arthritis at Bay

Postby adele » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:14 am

It's great to hear that Darby is doing so well. I worry about Lola and arthritis since her knee operations and follow the advice my mom gets from her doctor (mom has bad arthritis). That includes lots of small bouts of gentle exercise- sounds like little sprints fit right in there.
adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Return to Health/Medical