Sprained neck and bone spurs

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Sprained neck and bone spurs

Postby Annabelle » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:26 pm

Hi
I wanted to see if anyone had experience with a dog with a sprained neck?

My 14 year old girl, Ruby was diagnosed with a sprained neck and the xray also showed bone spurs.
When she is in a position that causes pain it sound terrible. She is on muscle relaxants, pain medication and a narcotic.
It's be 36 hours since starting drugs and she still showing a lot of pain when in a bad position. :(
She has been favouring her right leg. The Vet said that neck present as a sore leg as that's what the dog perceives as hurting.

She is our trouper that has been through flipped stomach surgery, and multiple teeth surgeries, so we're assuming she'll be a trouper for this issue too, but those howls of pain are terrible to hear!
Thanks
Ann
Annabelle
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Re: Sprained neck and bone spurs

Postby Cindy » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:44 am

YIKES! That sounds terrible!! I'm happy to say I don't have experience with this but hope she (and you) can find some comfort soon. Interesting about neck pain making her think it's in her leg - who would have thought?
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby adele » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:12 am

Poor Ruby! Poor you too. I can't stand it when Lola is in pain and she's never had anything that sounds this bad. I hope she's feeling better very soon.
adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Lisa » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:42 pm

Have you considered taking her to a chiropractor or massage therapist?

A lot of times, you will see improvement if you can get the muscles to relax and make sure everything is in the right alignment.
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD
Lisa

Postby Annabelle » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:49 pm

Chirpractor crossed my mind and there is a certified animal one in the city I live but it is completely out of the way.

Massage might be an idea though! I have been doing Healing Touch and Reiki (energy work) on her, and she seems to like it. Usually animals will get up and leave if they don't like it or so I've been told :)
Still favouring her leg quite a bit, but less yelps. She even tried to do some modified zoomies before doing her thing in the backyard.
From what I've read it can take up to six weeks to heal fully. The vet was encouraging that it hadn't got worse (love my vets when they call to follow up!)
Annabelle
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Return to Health/Medical