Nail clipping

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Nail clipping

Postby Icspots » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:50 pm

I have read in several posts that trimming the nails encourages the quick to move back. Why does this action cause the quick to move? We have been taking Jack every few weeks to have his nails done and they have not slowed down the growth, nor does the quick seem to have made any changes. His nails are dark so I can't see anything but the groomer is only taking a small sliver off each time. I will not trim them myself as we had the "accident" on his left front pinky toe with only a sliver off that one so I am officially done with that job. He allows me to dremel them but I can't seem to buy much time between trims. Nothing worse than hurting your dog and bleeding all over the place. Wish I had never tried it.

BTW any advice for getting blood out of carpet? Tried cold water, oxy clean and also carpet cleaner, nothing shifting them now.
Icspots
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Re: Nail clipping

Postby Cindy » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:14 pm

The nail clipping thing is a mystery to me. I am diligent about clipping my dogs' nails every week but the quick doesn't seem to move back very far. Pippa's grow really really fast and I can never seem to get them back to where they need to be.
BTW any advice for getting blood out of carpet? Tried cold water, oxy clean and also carpet cleaner, nothing shifting them now.

I'm wondering if the same remedy for red wine might work ... equal parts of dawn dish soap and hydrogen peroxide. Pour it on, let it soak, and take it up with paper towels. I'm not certain it works for blood but I know it works for red wine.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby Lisa » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:40 pm

I dremel my dogs nails weekly (or every 2 weeks if I'm being lazy). I've never seen evidence of a quick moving back from repeated clippings, unless you put the dog under and have the vet intentionally quick the nails to get them shorter (not something I'd recommend!!). However, if you keep the nails short to start with, then the quick can't grow and that will allow you to always keep the nails short.

As far as blood stains, you need an enzyme cleaner like Nature's Miracle. My favorite one is OUT! with Oxyclean...Wal-Mart carries it. Spray the cleaner on, let it soak in, then blot with a white paper towel.
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD
Lisa

Postby Icspots » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:38 pm

Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a try.
Icspots
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Postby adele » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:15 am

I think its either a myth or it only works in extreme situations.

Lola's front nails are too long (in my opinion). I cut them every weekend for about 3 years. Her nails are clear and I cut to just in front of the quick. The quick never changed. I've heard similar stories from other dog owners. So, maybe if the dogs nails are grotesquely out of shape you may be able to adjust the quick by cutting (I dunno) - but I think that if the quick is where nature intended it to be, you cannot modify it by cutting. I've tried.

Now I do her nails every week or two and the quick hasn't grown any longer either.
adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Jessica » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:52 pm

I was told by a groomer friend of ABR in IL once that the best way is to dremel about once a week, but you have to expose the quick each time until it reduces back to where it should be. She did it to Eli once to show me and he didn't cry, it didn't bleed or anything. I didn't keep up with it though :( he tries to bite me when I attempt to cut or dremel the nails.
Image Image
Eli: rescued 12/20/07........Lily: rescued 05/16/09

"If you don't own a dog, at least one, there is not necessarily anything wrong with you, but there may be something wrong with your life."
~Roger Caras
Jessica
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Return to Health/Medical