grapes

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

grapes

Postby marz » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:06 pm

Hate that this is a first post, but our 12wk old pup grabbed and ate a couple grapes when my son dropped what he had.
Is there anything I should do? She's asleep in her crate now, but I'm worried.
marz
Puppy
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:07 pm

Re: grapes

Postby Lisa » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:13 pm

Grapes are a weird thing. In some dogs, they can be incredibly toxic and in other dogs there is no issue at all.

I will say that when my adult Brittany ate about 10 grapes, I called the ER vet, and they had me bring him in to induce vomiting and gave him activated charcoal to absorb anything that was already digested.
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD
Lisa
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 4031
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:42 pm
Location: McKinney, TX

Re: grapes

Postby marz » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:23 pm

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it. I called the vet and they told me to just keep an eye on her for vomiting or anything.
marz
Puppy
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:07 pm

Re: grapes

Postby Barb Wright » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:29 pm

If it was only two grapes I sure wouldn't worry about it too much. Grapes are not so much the problem for dogs, it's raisins in large quantities (like a 1/4 cup) that seem to be toxic to some dogs.

Hope all goes well.
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police
 
Posts: 6846
Joined: Wed May 12, 2004 12:45 pm
Location: Montana

Re: grapes

Postby britlover » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:11 pm

my Britt ate raisins once, they were in a birdseed mix that I had filled my backyard feeder with. He was VIOLENTLY ill within 4-6 hours. I didn't know there were raisins in the bird food until I realized what I was cleaning up off the floor... and then I started counting. I found at least a dozen raisins so I know he ate at least that many. So, as Barb said a few grapes wouldn't be something I would worry over since they are less "concentrated" than raisins, and even so by now you probably would have seen the reaction if there was going to be one. Hope your pup is OK.
Luckily for my pup after activated charcoal, some meds and 48 hours on IV's to flush his system he was back to normal. Needless to say the birdseed was in the trash and I no longer keep a bird feeder in the yard.
Image
Piper, and Bryce
britlover
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter
 
Posts: 250
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:16 am

Re: grapes

Postby marz » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:23 pm

Thanks for the replies.. She's perfectly fine and had no negative reactions.:)
She's such a fast little thing and before my son could do anything, she scooped up a couple. Thankfully it wasn't many.

Britlover, that had to be a scary situation!! So glad your pup came out okay.
marz
Puppy
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:07 pm

Re: grapes

Postby britlover » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:11 pm

Glad your pup is OK. Welcome to the discussion board, and if you can please share more about your pup. I assume she is a Brittany? We love photos too if you have time to post a few :)

Yes, it was quite a scare which is why I share the story about the birdseed so others are aware of the potential danger. I never in a million years would I have suspected raisins as a filler ingredient. And the birds don't care for them so they get tossed to the ground for other animals to eat. Don't buy birdseed from HomeDepot without reading the fine print!
Image
Piper, and Bryce
britlover
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter
 
Posts: 250
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:16 am

Re: grapes

Postby marz » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:17 pm

Thnks for the welcome Britlover.
Yep, got a little brittany and I'll get some pics up tomorrow for sure!:)
marz
Puppy
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:07 pm


Return to Health/Medical

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

cron