trying to be proactive

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

trying to be proactive

Postby MaggieRocks » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:59 pm

Last weekend, we noticed Sammy limping sporadically. We thought it might be because the weather was nice and we had him outside more than usual (the boy doesn't like cold weather!) and he was running around & barking at cats. The limp went away after a day or two, but I noticed yesterday when he first got up, he had a little bit of a limp.

So...he will be 11 years old the end of July. He seems to be in great health, other than his fatty tumors. But just to be proactive-are there any kinds of supplements or vitamins that might help prevent arthritis or any other problems that come with aging? I'm thinking if I start him on something now, maybe we can postpone problems later.

Note-he is VERY food oriented, so even if there is some kind of treat we can give him daily, he would love that! (Not that he objects to swallowing pills, either :roll: )
MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Re: trying to be proactive

Postby Cindy » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:13 pm

I'm assuming he doesn't have Lyme disease? Kayla has tested positive for it and the vet said if she ever had any "unexplained" lameness we needed to consider that right away. If it's just arthritis type stuff, glucosamine chondrotin is supposed to be good, but I gave our old dog Casey cortaflex. They make a canine version but the horse stuff was cheaper since you didn't need to use as much. My understanding about all of this stuff is what works for one animal may not work for the next. So you might have to try several things before you find the answer.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby Lisa » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:29 pm

Like Cindy, my first thought was to test for Lyme's disease.

Regardless, a good joint supplement would be something with glucosamine, chondroitin, and Omega 3 and 6. No specific brand recommendations or anything, stuff you get for people would be fine for dogs.
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD
Lisa

Postby MaggieRocks » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:42 pm

I'm not sure if he was tested for Lyme-I'll have to check his vet records. I know our girls get the Lyme vaccine each year. With Sammy, he was treated by a vet when ABR first got him. Then he was adopted by a couple for about 4 months, and they took him to their vet. Then we got him back and decided to keep him, so the poor boy has vet records from all over the place. I'll have to dig everything out tomorrow and see what I can find. Meanwhile, guess it won't hurt to pick up a joint supplement. Thanks for the suggestions!
MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Return to Health/Medical