Laryngeal Paralysis

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Laryngeal Paralysis

Postby Dakota » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:46 am

To whom it may concern,
I adopted my first britt from ABR. He was just suppose to be a foster for a while, but I guess you know a lot of failed fosters. Within months of our adoption I had to find him a new home. He now lives a mile from me with acres on which to run.
The reason I am writing is that I have read several of the adoption stories on your sight, about dealing with laryngeal paralysis. I'd like to pass along information about the experience I have had . I later adopted a 7 year old brittany, who is the most perfect dog for my husband and I. When he was 9 he developed laryngeal paralysis. We just couldn't put him down, so we opted for the operation, which was to tie back a part of the larynx to open the airway. The vet told us that this operation fails in 1 out of 100 dogs. I received a call from the vet the day after the operation and was told that it had failed and that he was going to do the other side. This fails in 1 out of 30 dogs. After 2 weeks at home Pippin couldn't breath again, so back to the vet. We had 2 choices, say good bye or go for a full tracheoscopy. Good bye still wasn't an option for us. This dog was so happy and full of life we had to give him the chance. He is now 12 years old. He has a permanent hole in his throat, can no longer bark or talk to us, but is fine. We have had no issues with aspiration of his food, and he does eat well. Even his vet was amazed.
I will not say it wasn't costly, and we did think twice, but we now know we made the right decision. We have had 3 more years with this loving dog, who has since developed issues with his heart and is now almost blind, but he loves his life as the most spoiled brittany on the planet. I hope we have him another year at least, but we go day by day now and love our time together. He is still very funny, just a bit slower as we all are as we age.
A.Shire
Massachusetts
Image[/URL]
Dakota
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Re: Laryngeal Paralysis

Postby Barb Wright » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:31 pm

Dakota wrote:.......we go day by day now and love our time together.

And so it is with old dogs, each day is a bonus.
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby Cindy » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:31 pm

Always like to hear about positive outcomes. Enjoy his older years!! :D
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby adele » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:55 am

Wow. He sounds like a lucky pouch to have someone take such good care of him. I hope you'll be snuggling together for years to come.
adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Return to Health/Medical