Progressive Retinal Atrophy

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Progressive Retinal Atrophy

Postby Graftonbritts » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:02 pm

My year old Britt has gone total blind. They are thinking this may be the cause. It is inherited from the parents. I have never heard about this in Brittanys before. I have tried to contact the Breeder, but, I keep getting told I have the wrong #. Not true! There is a DNA test for it and I wanted to tell them not to breed this pair again. Has anyone else heard of this before. It is very sad, as she isn't the same dog she was. More of a lounge around hound. She gets around great and I have put bells on the other 2 dogs so she call follow them in the yard. I also had to put the protective cover over the prongs of the IF collar, so she would know the boundries.
Janice
Graftonbritts
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Re: Progressive Retinal Atrophy

Postby Graftonbritts » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:03 pm

I mean 5 year old Brittany. Sorry.
Janice
Graftonbritts
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Postby Cindy » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:41 pm

So so SOOOO sorry to hear this. I've never heard of this in Brittanys nor do I have any experience (fortunately for me) but it sure sounds like you're doing the right things. I bet it takes a little time to adjust so hopefully she'll adjust as time goes on and I'm sure having other dogs around will also help. Please keep us posted about how things progress and what techniques work. Good luck.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby Lisa » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:59 pm

It's very, very uncommon in Brittanys. So uncommon that breeders just don't test for it. I've only heard of one other Brittany having PRA, and that was a rescue that we took in. However, it is VERY common in English Springers. You are right to try and contact the breeder, and if a breeder knows that PRA is in their lines, the responsible thing to do would be to test for it and determine which of their dogs are carriers.

I'm so very sorry that your dog has gone blind, but glad that she's managing to get around.
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD
Lisa

Postby Helen E. » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:24 am

Unfortunately, I have heard of PRA in Brittanys. My first Britt went blind from PRA in 1998 when she was 9 years old. PRA is listed as a hereditary condition "occasionally reported in Brittanys" in a paperback book I have about Britts, and that it is "usually seen clinically by 5 years of age." I hope you are able to contact the breeder and that they care enough to not breed those dogs or their offspring again.

I'm sorry your Britt has been affected by this and hope she continues to adjust. I know what you mean about them not being the same dog as before.
Helen E.
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Return to Health/Medical