Incontinence in older female Britt

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Incontinence in older female Britt

Postby votesippel » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:22 pm

My Britt is getting on in years (12 or 13) and is having a problem holding her urine. Even when she was young occasionally she would wet the bed. We had her on medication to tighten the sphincter, but no improvement. Now she has gotten so bad she lays down and when she gets up there is a puddle. Not every time, but very often. We have tried diapers, but she seems to be able to get them off. Any experience or suggestions. :? Thanks.
votesippel
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Re: Incontinence in older female Britt

Postby StFrost » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:48 pm

we have an almost 16 year we got when she was 10. After about a month, we noticed the same thing--a puddle after sleeping. It took about 6 months but we found the right combo of proin and DES--a half a pill of proin morning and night and DES every 5 days. We also went grain free just to be on the safe side. Knock on wood, we have not had an accident since. Whether it is the diet or the meds, we are not going to change a thing. She hated the diapers (would hide in the closet) so we are not going to back track and see which are responsible for working. At her age, quality of life means being happy every day--since she can still run 2-3 miles, 7 days a week and hike 12+, we are going to go with the status quo.
StFrost
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby votesippel » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:32 pm

Hmm. We have her on Prion, but she gets really hyper at night and paces if we up the dose. I will talk to her doctor about adding the DES and see what they think. She hates the diapers too; yelps when I pick up her feet to get them on. Thanks for the advice.
votesippel
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Postby kat » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:00 pm

We had the same thing here, somewhere in our old girl's life, she had to stop the med that kept her dry and we had to switch to DES. It took a few weeks to kick in, 3 or 4 at least, but eventually it started working and we could lose the indignity of diapers. Absolutely ask about the DES. Good luck, keep us posted.
My mom is a Kat - How cool is that?
kat
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Cindy » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:14 am

Did you try Pamper Pullups? The ones with the sides that Velcro so you can really put them on snuggly.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby votesippel » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:29 am

Thanks for the advice. I will ask about DES and try some new diapers in the meantime. I love her so much, but my house is starting to reek. I don't always find the puddles right away. UGH, poor little girl.
votesippel
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Postby Cindy » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:50 pm

If you try the Pullups, I would also insert a maxi pad for extra absorbency. Sometimes the pullup would weigh a ton when I removed it but nothing ever seemed to leak out. Casey weighed about 50 lbs and wore a size 4 if that helps.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby votesippel » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:54 pm

I have been using my diapers (I have a bladder disease that requires them occasionally) but I think I need the ones with velcro closures so I can get them tight. She is the same size around 50 pounds, so the size info helps a lot. Thanks.
votesippel
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Return to Health/Medical