Drums, Dogs, and Decibels.

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Drums, Dogs, and Decibels.

Postby FireOnTheMountain » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:09 am

I play the drum kit. Those of you who have been close to a drum kit know just how loud they are, but for those of you who have not: they're probably a little louder than you'd imagine. Anyway...

I have my kit in my bedroom, at one far end of my house. My Brit has free roam of the house, yet chooses to stretch out on my bed and watch me play! I'm flattered, but wondering if he's putting his hearing at risk just to be near me (he's constantly following me around at home). I have some hearing loss from playing in bands without protection when I was younger. This isn't quite as loud, but still so loud that I cannot play without my neighbors hearing me if their windows are open. I've only met one other dog who lounges around full-volume drums, but she also was raised in a home of musicians from six weeks haha.

Thoughts?
FireOnTheMountain
Puppy

Re: Drums, Dogs, and Decibels.

Postby Cindy » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:36 pm

All I can say is that you must be REALLY good for a dog to do that :lol: :lol: :lol:
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby Barb Wright » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:56 pm

:) Hey, if he doesn't mind the noise then I would not worry about it. If it hurts his ears he'll find a distant spot to hang :D Hunting dogs sure have to put up with really loud noises from shotguns, and since some dogs who have never been around loud noises still go deaf, it's probably something that only time will tell. I'm sure his feelings would be mightily hurt if you suddenly cut him off from lounging with you. I suppose there is some info somewhere about the odds of hearing loss in dogs who are around loud noises like machinery, etc. Though like I said, some dogs go deaf anyway, so not sure the cause is necessarily predictable.
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby adele » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:23 am

I did a quick surf.... check this out.... http://www.safeandsoundpets.com/index.html
adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Barb Wright » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:08 am

"Mutt Muffs"....great concept :) If a dog will tolerate them then I'd go for it....can't hurt, might help :)
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby FireOnTheMountain » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:02 am

hahahaha I should have known that had to exist!
FireOnTheMountain
Puppy

Postby janet909 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:45 pm

Muff Muffs. That's great. My DH is a commercial fisherman in Alaska. A lot of guys have their dogs on board for days at a time and the engine is always running. These salmon boats are small and the cabin sits right above a HUGE diesel engine. We have to wear hearing protection so I've often wondered about the poor dogs who are out there w/o hearing protection. These are great......IF the dog will keep them on.
janet909
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby adele » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:41 am

I'm sure if you just put them on the dogs head and walked away the dog would take them off. But you can probably train the dog to accept them if it was important.
adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Return to Health/Medical