red spots/sores around his collar and neck area?

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

red spots/sores around his collar and neck area?

Postby hoppsmom » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:06 pm

Ok so last time I took Hopps to the vet, he was itching alot too but he was red under his arm pits. The vet said that it was probably from his harness, and gave him some prednisone and antibiotics. well that cleared up, I cleaned his harness with Dawn, and also avoided using it except for walks. Well now Hopps is itching again, but mostly on his neck and collar area. I washed his collar with Dawn, gave him a much needed bath with oatmeal shampoo(he hadnt had one in a month and a half or longer), and I've taken it off since I've seen the sores/redness. He is up to date on his flea prevention and heartguard, and hes been eatn the same food... could he be allergic to Dawn or something else just in the environment? Its weird because he isnt itching anywhere else except his neck. Also, I can fit my hand under his collar so I know it isnt too tight. any ideas?
hoppsmom
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Re: red spots/sores around his collar and neck area?

Postby JSANTA26 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:27 pm

Tessie sometimes gets irritation around her armpits from her harness. I think she may be just having a reaction to the stainless steel part of the harness that the nylon parts attach to. Maybe thats it? You may just have to get a few different collars/harness types and rotate until the irritation goes away?

Image BIRD DOG
JSANTA26
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Return to Health/Medical