My old Girl

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

My old Girl

Postby kat » Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:58 pm

We adopted Winnie 13 yrs ago this month, she was an adult then, probably between 2-4 yrs old. We know her liver has been bad for a few years, she takes meds to keep her from wetting (flooding) overnight in her sleep, she's deaf and can hardly see, but has been doing fairly well. This last week, she's had two accidents during the night, 1 poopy, neither in her bed, and hasn't been eating on her own more than a few bites. I can usually get her to eat most of her food by hand feeding though. She seems happy enough still, some weezing but no limping. Sooo, wish you all would think good thoughts for us, we'll visit the vet Tues, but ...
My mom is a Kat - How cool is that?
kat
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Lisa » Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:19 pm

Prayers and Brittany kisses headed for Winnie from Kansas....
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD
Lisa

Postby Brenda Dom » Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:39 pm

Ditto what Lisa said from Maryland.

Brenda
Kelcy, Susie, Bodie and Max
"Some of us learn forgiveness by studying the lives of saints. And some of us keep dogs. . . ." - Charles Gusewelle
Brenda Dom
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Postby Dave » Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:02 pm

Kat, I'm sorry Winnie is not doing well give her a big hug for me . These seniors are the heart and soul of rescue . You will be in my prayers . Dave
Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Allison » Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:27 am

sending ++++++++++++vibes for winnie

Allison
Allison
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby Jeanne » Sat Mar 12, 2005 9:00 am

Our thoughts are with you and Winnie.
Jeanne
Jeanne
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Postby Jen » Sun Mar 13, 2005 6:41 pm

Our thought are with you and Winnie. I just had a sick dog and know what you are going through, all the worry and stress. Just give her lots of love and pets.

I am sure Barb will chime in here, but have you been giving her Milk Thistle for her liver? It has worked wonders for some of my senoir dogs.

Jen
Coda - our forever foster dog
Jen
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby kat » Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:19 pm

Yeah, Jen, started Milk Thistle 4 yrs ago. We did blood work before a dental and her ALP #'s were almost 1700 (normal would be about 200), so while the vet tried medical remedies, I did a lot of internet research and found stuff on Milk Thistle. It did bring her #'s down to the 800's, low enuff to get the dental done in 03. It's good to talk about it though, everyone should know about it if their dog ever has liver trouble. Like you said, it helps alot. Just have to watch out for the tinctures that also contain alcohol. Thanks to everyone for the good wishes, they're really appreciated. I think she's just wearing out, which makes me so sad. I also have a senior foster boy going in for an ultrasound for a big heart murmer tomorrow. We're running a geriatric ward here right now!
kat
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Brenda Dom » Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:12 pm

Kat:

Ask your vet about Denosyl. It's not a drug. It's a "liver supporting nutritional supplement." One of my babies' numbers were up there and this stuff worked wonders. Kind of pricey - I've been able to find it online for about $25 (2 week supply). My furbaby needs to be on it about 5 more months...

Brenda
Kelcy, Susie, Bodie and Max
"Some of us learn forgiveness by studying the lives of saints. And some of us keep dogs. . . ." - Charles Gusewelle
Brenda Dom
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Postby kat » Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:26 am

We're seeing the vet today, so I'll ask. DH got out of bed this am and stepped in poo (stop laughing), I don't know why she isn't waking me up to go out, but this is the second poo accident along with a big wet one too in the last 2-3 weeks. I know DH will want her sleeping in the mudroom, but I can't do that to her after all these years. Any ideas?
kat
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Dave » Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:54 am

Well I'd alter her feeding times . Maybe earlier in the day if she is fed twice . Try a couple of hours earlier in the evening and she if she'll go out and poop before settling down for the night . It is a hard road sometimes when they get old ...Just remember all the years that this didn't happen . It isn 't intentional , and they are embarassesd if they realize it's happening . In my younger days I worek in a nursing homes and it happens to people too :oops: You could try a diaper , I know I've read about it . Good luck at the vet . 8) Dave
Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Lisa » Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:21 am

I know DH will want her sleeping in the mudroom, but I can't do that to her after all these years. Any ideas?

Would Winnie use a potty pad if one were left out for her at night? I'd agree with Dave to try and alter the feeding time so that she can potty earlier, but if she'd use a potty pad, you could set one out for her at night, just in case. Also...you could just start planning to get up in the middle of the night and take her out, whether she wakes you or not...just like you would with a puppy.
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD
Lisa

Postby kat » Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:31 am

you know, I thought about a diaper, she wore them for awhile until we got the bedwetting under control, but wow, wouldn't that be awful with the poo? She already eats dinner at 4:00, and even then she's not eating much. I've never tried the potty pads, so I might try that. I'l' ask the vet what she thinks about that, too. I have thought I will probably have to just get up in the middle of the night, like you suggest. She kinda gets lost out there and wanders for about 5 min, but Dave, you are so right, she's been absolutely the best dog for so many years that that counts for alot now. And yeah, she watches me clean up her accidents and looks so sad. I just hug her and tell her how much I love her. Sure is nice to have people around who understand, and don't think I'm nuts.
kat
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Barb Wright » Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:33 pm

Kat: Here are some web sites with info on diapers for both urine and solids:

http://dog-diaper.com/index.htm

http://handicappedpets.com/diaper/

http://www.seniorpetproducts.com/diapers.html

Maybe this will help that part of the problem.

Bless you for being so patient with your old gal....we need to keep in mind that ALL of us will come full circle (from diapers and being fed to diapers and being fed) if we live long enough :roll:
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby Cindy » Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:16 pm

Speaking from experience ... I've found that Huggies pull-ups (or similar brand) size 3T-4T work better than the so called doggie diapers. They are more absorbent and fit much better. Before we lost our Annie a month ago, she wore them every night. I lined them with a sanitary pad and cut a hole out for her tail. Mostly she just peed in them, but on occassion there was poop. I always found it preferable to finding her lying in her own waste OR finding it on the rug! Those denim diapers work well if your dog is slim - put them over the pull-ups to hold them in place. By themselves theyr are pretty useless! Just my opinion and thoughts.
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Next

Return to Health/Medical