Jill's having more seizures

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Jill's having more seizures

Postby Cindy » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:35 am

I'm worried so tell me if I need to be ... Jill had a seizure last night. It wasn't bad and only lasted about a minute - very typical for her. However, it's been about 7 weeks since the last one which is closer than the time before. But then she had another one just a little while ago, about 8 hours since the one she had last night. Again, not bad and didn't last long. I called the emergency vet and they said to give her another dose (45 mg) of phenobarbital at lunch time and then at dinner (she normally gets 45 mg twice/day). Then call our regular vet in the morning. But ... they did say if she had another seizure before the morning I should bring her in.

Any thoughts on whether I can wait until the morning even if she has another one? I would obviously take her in right away if they were bad or frequent. I just want my vet who knows her and has the records to be making the decisions. Guess poor Jill is off to the vet again on Monday. :cry:
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Re: Jill's having more seizures

Postby Barb Wright » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:03 pm

Cindy wrote:... I just want my vet who knows her and has the records to be making the decisions.

This would be my thought as well....also, just what is the Emergency vet going to do that you can't? Since she needs attendance during the seizures will they be monitoring her constantly like you will? I think I would up the pheno like they said and give it a chance to work. Looks like it's going to be a looooong night :cry:
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby MaggieRocks » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:06 pm

I don't have any answers, but I'm sorry you and Jill are having such a rough time. {{ hugs }}
MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby StFrost » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:36 pm

When Frost was having seizures, I was told any number of seizures in a 24 hour period was still considered one seizure (part of a cluster). When Frost suffered more than one in day, we gave him a dose of the meds but kept him on the regular dose too. later on, we got rectal valium to treat the clusters. It worked great.

The two times we brought him to the emergency vet, the only thing they could do was bloodwork. Did not seem worth the money to me.
StFrost
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby Cindy » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:11 am

The two times we brought him to the emergency vet, the only thing they could do was bloodwork. Did not seem worth the money to me.

That's pretty much what I was thinking unless she had a seizure that wouldn't stop or something. At any rate, no more seizures last night (whew). She slept great although I woke up every time she made a move!! Just waiting for the vet to open to see what they suggest.
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby Cindy » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:56 am

I just talked to the vet and we are bumping up her meds by an extra pill twice/day. She'll now get 60 mg of phenobarbital twice/day. She was on the low end of the phenabarb. level back when it was last checked in the Fall so I was hoping this was all we needed to do - WHEW!!! I just need to get her levels checked again in about 6 weeks.

The best thing about this is that once the seizure is over Jill is just the happiest dog in the world. If you could see the way she bounces around the house playing with everything and everyone, you'd never know she was just lying on the floor foaming at the mouth in terrible spasms. When it happened again yesterday, my sister and brother-in-law (owners of ABR Abby) just happened to be here so it was good for them to witness the seizure in case it ever happens when they are babysitting. Abby, on the other hand, was very concerned and upset. We had to throw her outside until the seizure was over.
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby Barb Wright » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:44 pm

How is Jill doing now? Keep thinking about her....hoping all steps are forward.
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby Cindy » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:01 am

Good as gold - "almost perfect!!" She's sitting by my side begging for my breakfast as we speak!! The prescribed increase in the phenobarbital seems to have zero effect on her other than stopping seizures. They claim it can make them lethargic but, if anything, it has the opposite effect on Jill. She is raring to go. Of course part of that might have to do with her finally getting over the dog bite issue, off antibiotics, anti-inflammatories, etc. She's had a bit of a rough time lately.
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby janet909 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:12 am

Glad to hear that Jill is doing better. How scary. I'm sorry you are going through this but it sounds like you have a great handle on it !!!
janet909
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby StFrost » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:19 am

Glad to read she is doing better.

I was reviewing Frost's file after reading your initial report. he was also on Potassium Bromide after a year on the phenyl, when the seizures started up again.

About 6 months later, he developed a bit of ataxia too, but could have been either med.
Just an FYI as you live and learn with this.
StFrost
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby Cindy » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:06 pm

Thanks. I like to read up about stuff like this but then I worry myself to death. Always good to get a heads up about what I might expect, even if it never happens.
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby doglover216 » Sun May 05, 2013 9:46 am

I'm so sorry Jill is having seizures. My little dog Squirt had seizures for dub years. When he would start to have one I would say "Go for walk" and that would snap him out of it. Of course then my husband had to walk him. We spent many nights ln ER. They gave him IV with meds to stop them.
doglover216
Puppy

Return to Health/Medical