Hemangiosarcoma

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Hemangiosarcoma

Postby Jessica » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:19 am

My Lily had her spleen removed today, she had a large mass on it. She is doing well so far in recovery. That's the good news. Bad news is that my Vet says that it's likely that this is hemangiosarcoma, we will not know biopsy results for several days but she says that it is aggressive and metastasizes quickly. It's likely that Lily will only have a few months. I've done a few quick searches and saw that some other people have had this happen, can anyone offer any advice on food or supplements? I don't think I want to put her through chemo as it appears that it doesn't really help much and I want her quality of life to be good while she's here.

Thank you
Image Image
Eli: rescued 12/20/07........Lily: rescued 05/16/09

"If you don't own a dog, at least one, there is not necessarily anything wrong with you, but there may be something wrong with your life."
~Roger Caras
Jessica
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Re: Hemangiosarcoma

Postby Cindy » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:01 pm

I am so sorry to hear about Lily! How old is she? Any symptoms that led to having the surgery done? I really don't know anything about hemangiosarcoma but am sending all of my best vibes for a speedy recovery and good news for the biopsy results. I hear what you're saying about chemo but, from what I've read/heard, dogs tolerate it fairly well. Obviously you know best though. Fingers and paws crossed for Lily.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby Jessica » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:50 pm

Thank you Cindy.

She is about 6, the mass ruptured and she bled a little, it stopped on its own but made her weak and lethargic, which prompted the vet visit. I have read that the chemo could give her a few extra months and also that they tolerate it pretty well, like you said. I am going to consider it, if necessary. I am praying that she's part of that small percentage in which it's benign. Otherwise all I can do is spoil her while she's here.

On another note, I've never really had to do this before and I feel incredibly guilty about every time I've ever yelled at her or swatted her butt. I am glad that I will have at least some time to make it up to her :(
Image Image

"If you don't own a dog, at least one, there is not necessarily anything wrong with you, but there may be something wrong with your life."
~Roger Caras
Jessica
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Postby Rachelle » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:45 pm

My heart sank when I saw the title of this thread. Hemangiosarcoma is terrible. We lost our Henry to it in 2008. I responded at length to someone else on the board who's brit was also diagnosed with it a couple years ago. You probably found that response when you searched for hemangiosarcoma on the message board.

In regards to your specific question regarding food and supplements, we were told to feed raw or at least grain-free by our holistic vet. She said that cancer feeds on carbohydrates and sugars. That said, we got to the point where we would feed whatever he would actually eat - chunks of raw steak for example. She also had us give Henry a Chinese herbal supplement called Yunnan Baiyao. It is supposed to help slow bleeding. Dogs with hemangiosarcoma are at risk for further internal bleeding - hence the need for the Yunnan Baiyao. I'd strongly recommend checking out the Yahoo! support group for hemangiosarcoma. They have tons of helpful information. I'd also recommend consulting with a holistic vet. We choose not the pursue chemo with Henry and seeing the holistic vet at least let us feel like we were doing the very best we could to treat him.

I will think positive thoughts and keep my fingers crossed that Lily's tumor is benign.
Henry
Rachelle
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby Helen E. » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:37 am

There is a Chinese mushroom compound being studied that has had good results. It sounds really promising.

I can't get a direct link to the Univ. of Penn. article to work. It you go to http://www.upenn.edu and search mushroom compound it is the first article, dated Sep 2012.

You could print the article and give it to your vet to get his opinion. My Dixie had a dermal hemangiosarcoma removed from her front leg in December. While trying to decide about chemo I did some research online and found this. Our vet called his vet school, Auburn University, to check it out. The bottom line was that it could help and wouldn't hurt. I ordered the same brand used in the UPenn study.

http://www.imyunityfordogs.com

Hope this helps.
Helen E.
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Postby Rachelle » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:21 pm

Wow! The results of that study are very encouraging. I wish I had know about it when Henry was sick. There are so few things to treat hemangiosacroma that I would have been willing to give it a try as well.
Henry
Rachelle
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby Jessica » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:26 pm

My vet just called, Lily doesn't have it! I'm so relieved :D

I tried telling Lily that she was okay as she laid on the couch next to me, she just lifted her head and looked at me like "yeah, so?" :twisted:
Image Image

~Roger Caras
Jessica
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Postby kat » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:05 pm

Great news! Lily wasn't worried at all, was she? Good girl!
My mom is a Kat - How cool is that?
kat
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby rtropeano » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:40 pm

Whew! What a relief...Yay Lily!

"I didn't do nothing, Mama!"
Daisy Mae, CGC, TDI, CTL1-F
rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Cindy » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:06 am

OMG - that's GREAT news! I can hear the giant WHEW coming from your house. :D
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby adele » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:40 am

Fantastic! That is such great news.
adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Barb Wright » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:45 am

Soooo relieved to hear the good report and glad to put all that worry behind us :) Did the Vet tell you just what "it" was? Curious to hear the findings.
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby Helen E. » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:29 pm

That is wonderful news! I know you're relieved. Lily is a lucky girl! :)
Helen E.
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Postby Jessica » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:33 pm

"IT" was a large hematoma (bunch of blood vessels) attached to her spleen. Lab said there were some slightly irregular cells that could be related to a Lymphoma that is localized to the spleen. They said I could have the cells tested for another $300 but that even if the cells tested positive for the Lymphoma there has never been a recorded case of that type metastasizing to any other organs and that the splenectomy is curative. So my vet feels (and I agree) that since I don't have any money to burn the test is unnecessary.
Image Image

~Roger Caras
Jessica
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Postby AuntieMom » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:29 am

So happy to hear Lily's good news. :D :D :D
Trapper, CharLee & Kallie
AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Next