Just brought Hopps back from boarding...

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Just brought Hopps back from boarding...

Postby hoppsmom » Mon May 20, 2013 6:16 pm

He loved it, but he apparently ran all day playing up and down the fence line with the other dogs :D . They asked while I was away, and I oked it, to feed him a mid day meal, along with his morning and evening feedings, to help since he was using up so much energy. He ate all his food, and aside from being tired yesterday (back to his usual energy today), he is acting like himself, healthy and happy. But he is a little bit thinner, especially around his hips. Not anything where you can see his ribs, but his hips protrude more, and he was at his ideal weight before I took him to the boarders, but he doesnt normally have a fenced in yard or play buddies next to him all the time to run with. So it makes sense that he would be skinnier from all the energy. My question is, should I feed him more than I did before to get him back to that weight, or do you think he will bulk back up on his own naturally, feeding him the same amount I was feeding him before boarding? I know he is adjusting back to his normal energy level and normal routine too, but I am just wondering whether I would be helping him adjust by feeding him more (and how much more) or should I let it happen naturally (if it will happen)?
hoppsmom
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Re: Just brought Hopps back from boarding...

Postby Cindy » Mon May 20, 2013 6:18 pm

WOW - I bet you're happy he enjoyed himself being boarded!! I would be inclined to keep his food "as normal" and see what happens with less activity. Give him a month or so and then increase as needed.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby Barb Wright » Mon May 20, 2013 7:09 pm

Ditto what Cindy said. Back to a routine of less activity he will gradually regain what he lost now doubt. Don't increase his food, a little thin is better than heavier than he should be :)
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby Lisa » Mon May 20, 2013 9:28 pm

Keep it at normal for now. He'll put the weight back on with less activity. Also, he could have been a little stressed, which will drop weight too. Whenever I have multiple day shows with Charm, she drops weight, even though she's not nearly as active as at home. It's just more stressful for her to be at a show site all day, and she drops weight.

Next time you board, leave some high calorie treats for him to have during the day, or just ask the kennel to feed more than you usually do.
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD
Lisa

Return to Health/Medical