Nose scabs/crusty

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Nose scabs/crusty

Postby Icspots » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:15 pm

Since February Jack has had a strange crusty scabby growth on his nose. Each time he has been at the vet I have shown them and hear they don't know what it is. One guy immediately wanted to put him on antibiotics and predisone, the other suggested taking a biopsy. The third vet was older and during the checkup for Jack's summer Revolution pickup I told the vet about the strange stuff. Of course it wasn't there because I had been rubbing in cortizone cream twice a day (no licking, he is a good dog). This older vet suggested that if this cream works then to keep doing it and don't worry about it. What does concern me is that if I stop then this stuff comes back and quickly. Jack did not have this nose crust when we got him at the end of September so I really don't know what it could be. He has had some blood work, nothing showing up, nothing to hear in his lungs so a fungal attack seems not likely, or so I am told. But the brown eyes and the sad face are getting to me every time I go near him with the cream and I would love to fix him up. Any ideas?
Icspots
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Re: Nose scabs/crusty

Postby Barb Wright » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:59 pm

Cortizone cream is a steroid and as such will relieve symptoms but does nothing to help heal or cure. Also it should not be used long term. Since a crusty nose can be the symptom of several health issues/diseases, and since no one is interested in making an educated guess, and other than doing a biopsy which really would be a good idea, you might try Vitamin E applied topically to help with healing, or Bag Balm which also might be quite helpful in the healing process. Some other topicals that are good for healing are a Calendula cream, or Aloe Vera, both excellent wound healers. Best to find something that heals rather than just brings temporary relief. Unfortunately, if the cause is a more deep seated problem then any topical will only bring relief, not take care of the base issue and the symptom will keep recurring. Of course you need to stick with something that won't tempt Jack to try to lick it off....he is being such a good boy for not undoing your ministrations :)

A biopsy would certainly eliminate a few possibilities.

And this idea which is a little mystical, if he is eating out of a plastic bowl you might change to a stainless bowl.

Hope others will jump in with perhaps some actual experiences, or some other suggestions.
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby mkilcz » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:18 pm

Our first Britt's nose got progressively crusty as she aged. Our vet didn't think it was a problem, and it didn't seem to bother her... it was just a bit unsightly. About a year ago, I noticed that Jack seemed to be starting with the same issue (he was 8 at the time). I've been rubbing a dab of Bag Balm on his nose a few times a week ever since, and his nose has cleared up. And btw, Rocket is now almost 12, and his nose is fine, he's never had a problem. So while I don't have any clue about possible causes, the Bag Balm seemed to help in our case. At any rate, it won't hurt, and it might help if its just a simple irritation or moisturizing problem.

Marge
mkilcz
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby Cindy » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:47 pm

Bag Balm would be my "go to" suggestion. It works on all kinds of mysteries!
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby Icspots » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:32 pm

We aren't using plastic as I had read about problems even before we brought Jack home. I had also tried the vitamin E method but it didn't work. What I haven't yet tried is to clear up his nose with the cortisone and then use the E or Bag Balm. I'll try that next. I don't want to go the biopsy route yet for the pain or the expense involved. It certainly didn't sound like a nice trip to the vet, and best of all it might not even show anything, the vet wasn't too hopeful but he likes to do lots of tests. If anyone has figured out how to get dogs to talk so that they can explain to their doctor what is going on could make a fortune.
Icspots
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Postby Lisa » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:06 pm

Hyperkeratosis of the nose can be an indicator of discoid lupus, it can also be due to unknown causes. My own experience with it is as a result of discoid lupus in my old dog, Madi. She had severe hyperkeratosis of both the nose and foot pads. My vet diagnosed her with lupus. Keeping her out of the sun and switching to grain free food helped her quite a bit. Then, we gently cut away the excess keratin on her nose, and I used antibiotic ointments until her nose healed. Sometimes, Madi would be digging in the yard and come in with a scabby, bloody top of her nose, where she'd scraped away excess keratin. When that happened, I just put an antibiotic cream on her nose until it healed.

Here's a good link about it.
http://www.dogaware.com/articles/wdjnos ... italhyperk
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD
Lisa

Return to Health/Medical