Tennis balls and teeth

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Tennis balls and teeth

Postby kat » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:49 pm

Our newest foster, Lucy, came to us with the greatest tennis ball obsession of any dog we've had. She loves chasing, catching, chewing tennis balls, nothing else. She also has very short, flat lower canine teeth, almost like they've been cut & filed. Well, the vet says absolutely no more tennis balls for her, the outside of the tennis ball is very abrasive and this is what happens. OH NO!!! So now we're searching for alternatives, you know no other balls are the same. I found a tennis ball made by Kong, that seems exactly the same, but it says on the packaging that it is non abrasive and safe for teeth - do I believe it? Anyone have any other suggestions? She's also a very anxious dog, and the tennis ball can be a great stress reliever for her, but those teeth are too important to risk, so....
My mom is a Kat - How cool is that?
kat
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Re: Tennis balls and teeth

Postby Cindy » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:14 pm

What about a "stuffed" ball? I've seen them made out of fleece and also braided stuff. Kayla is pretty obsessed with balls too and I took old t-shirts, cut them in long strips, braided them and tied them in several knows. It's not exactly a ball but she'll chase it and definitely chew on it. Check this out: http://www.amazon.com/PetSafe-Pogo-Plush-Ball-Large/dp/B002WPSL3E/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1374365618&sr=8-3&keywords=soft+dog+ball
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby Lisa » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:57 pm

The Kong tennis balls are less abrasive than regular tennis balls, but will still eventually wear down the teeth. What about the Chuck-it plastic balls? If she must have tennis balls, use the Kong ones.
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD
Lisa

Postby duckypond1 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:50 am

Chuck It has some good rubber balls that are very very durable.

http://www.amazon.com/ChuckIt-Medium-Ul ... s=chuck+it
Jeice Image and Tucker Image
duckypond1
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Return to Health/Medical