How can I get my Brittany to Gain Weight?

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

How can I get my Brittany to Gain Weight?

Postby Laura123 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:36 pm

Ammo is 2yrs old and I am having problems with him keeping weight. He has food allergies to most meat proteins and is currently on a vegetarian food(this has been the only thing not to break him out). He has also had some digestive problems due to his allergies; but with the veggie food and a daily probotic he is now using the bathroom normally and no longer breaking out. However, I have been unable to keep weight on him, he has been checked out by the vet and is currently healthy with no parasites. I was wondering if anyone else has had problems with weight and what solutions there are. Unfortunately I will only be able to use non-meat proteins.
Laura123
Puppy

Re: How can I get my Brittany to Gain Weight?

Postby Lisa » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:10 pm

My bet would be that since he's on a veggie food, he's not getting enough fat or protein to keep weight on him.

Ideally, to get him to gain weight, you'd want to go to a novel protein (maybe venison or rabbit or something), but if that's totally out, then you need to come up with other options. Here's some suggestions of things you can add to food to help him gain weight...hopefully some of these are on his approved diet:

Whole raw eggs (I just give my dogs the egg - shell and all and let them eat them outside. However, you could also just crack the egg over his food and crumble the shell in there)
Peanut Butter - add a dollop to his food or give him a tablespoon as a treat
Oatmeal - cook up and add to his food. Start at 1/4 cup and increase as needed
Natural Oils - Olive, Coconut, etc
Cottage Cheese (or any other kind of cheese)
Pasta

If he can tolerate them, Greenies are high in calories as well.
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD
Lisa

Re: How can I get my Brittany to Gain Weight?

Postby Laura123 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:21 pm

Thank you for the great suggestions I will try the eggs in hope that they will not break him out. I have been giving him peanut butter with his probotic daily; but I will diffidently try the oatmeal, pasta & cottage cheese.
Laura123
Puppy

Return to Health/Medical