Jeice hurt his neck

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Jeice hurt his neck

Postby duckypond1 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:43 pm

Hey everyone,

A few weeks ago I took Jeice to the beach, and I left his collar on his neck. I realized when we got home that the water and sand had rubbed his neck really bad, and it is just raw skin now. It looks really chapped, so I have been keeping bag balm on it as often as I can. I have stopped using his regular collar and his e-collar and I am using only his harness now to reduce any friction on his neck, but the skin still looks very raw and red. Has anyone else been through this before? Any products that I can't think of that do a really good job? I never even assumed that the collar could cause that much damage just running at the beach. I hope I didn't do permanent damage! :(
Jeice Image and Tucker Image
duckypond1
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Re: Jeice hurt his neck

Postby duckypond1 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:45 pm

duckypond1
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Postby Barb Wright » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:20 pm

You know, that really looks like more than just collar chaff. More like an allergic reaction to either some chemical/pollutant in the water/sand which maybe soaked into the collar and continues to irritate, or perhaps metal dangles off his collar started to irritate when the hair wore off. Just guessing here, but definitely more than just collar chaffing.

I'd keep up with the bag balm, or perhaps try some Calendula ointment, or some Aloe Vera Gel. Those are all very healing, and unless there is constant contact with the cause, should promote healing. The hair may be slow in returning, but the skin should lose some of that flush. Again, just making some guesses here.
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby britlover » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:52 pm

I agree this looks like more than collar chaff. I live near a dog beach and take my britts there often, wearing both the regular collars with tags and ecollars and have never experienced anything like that.
Has he been scratching that spot? Is there any odor? I'm wondering if there is a bacterial or yeast infection. One of my adopted britts came from a shelter and had an infection in his pads that had spread up his legs and rump and a lot of his fur was missing. Since he had also recovering from surgery I didn't want to treat with drugs so I ended up using a medicated shampoo daily for several weeks and was able to clear up the infection.
Piper, and Bryce
britlover
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby duckypond1 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:08 pm

Thanks for your responses, I am keeping his collar off full time now using a harness. I am starting to think it must be some kind of infection too, because it does seem like it has spread a bit. I will look for some calendula ointment.

He isn't scratching and it doesn't smell. To be honest, he doesn't seem to notice it much at all. I am going to try to find a dog dermatologist in the area and see if I can find the solution. I might just change his collar style too, I have been using a soft soy collar that swells up with water, so it would make sense that it could hold on to some fungus or something gross. I will find a nylon collar to use from now on
duckypond1
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Postby Barb Wright » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:44 am

If it spreads even a little bit more (take a measurement to be sure) then a vet dermatologist would be a good idea. It could be fungal, bacterial, or especially parasitical. At least they could rule that out, hopefully.

BTW Soy is a highly genetically modified crop, so unless the soy source for the collars was organic you have a product that has insecticides and pesticides inherent in the plant. Formulation into a product does not necessarily remove these chemicals. If you are looking to avoid leather or synthetic materials try hemp. So far "they" (biotech) have left that alone.
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby lkbri7 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:26 am

I've always used aloe leaves, sliced open the long way, for anything on myself or any of my dogs. I just cut a piece off at the stem, slice open and put the spread leaf, gooey side down, on the site that has a bite, scrape or something else.

When I left Santa Barbara years ago, I potted up some pieces of the giant aloe plants I had there and have taken them with me on every subsequent move. I notice that my plants don't have the rather unpleasant smell of those available at the stores. Maybe worth a try, but getting a dermatologist's opinion sounds like the first move. Good luck, I hope this resolves itself soon!
lkbri7
Puppy

Return to Health/Medical