Do dogs get colds?

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Do dogs get colds?

Postby Icspots » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:16 am

So how do you decide when you need to go to the vet? Jack has been sneezing and has had a little bit of coughing for a day. This morning he left most of breakfast and is definitely lethargic. He is still drinking but it may not be quite at his regular amount but it is also cold and last year his consumption did change with the weather.
Icspots
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Re: Do dogs get colds?

Postby Barb Wright » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:19 am

Dogs do get respiratory infections....does he have a temperature? In most dogs not eating is sure sign of illness. If the sneezing and coughing continues I'd sure get to the vet.
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby Cindy » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:11 pm

I just had an email from my niece and her Boxer had kennel cough. He kept her up all night coughing/gagging/wheezing so off to the vet this morning. He'd been vaccinated, doesn't go to daycare, hadn't been boarded, etc. but th vet told her he can still get it by sharing water dishes, etc.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby Icspots » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:43 pm

So after two days Jack isn't coughing much at all. Maybe twice a day but sneezing a lot. His appetite is good, he is drinking well and he is bouncy as all get out. Most of the sneezing occurs when he goes out for a walk and we have cut way back on his outside time. His nose is occasionally runny but clear, he likes to wipe his nose on my side of the bed after he sneezes on me when I get home. He definitely seems perkier than on Monday so we are still going to watch him and make sure everything stays fine.
Icspots
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Postby Cindy » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:41 pm

Allergies???
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby Icspots » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:46 am

I don't think so. Nothing has changed in the house and we haven't taken him anywhere he hasn't been before. The sneezing is now practically gone and no coughing in two days. He was at the dog park a week ago and I found out that my oldest daughter had him drinking from another dog's dish there. Kind of thinking that he picked up something there.
Icspots
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Postby Barb Wright » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:48 am

Does sound like it was a mild case of Kennel cough. Personally, I think vaccinating for KC is a waste of money.....the so-called preventative doesn't work a good part of the time, wears off within a few months, during the short incubation period after receiving the shot/spray it can be spread to other dogs, the nasal spray application has been found to be a source of nasal tumors, and when all is said and done, dogs that are otherwise pretty healthy get over KC fairly fast. A few days of discomfort with coughing and then it is done. And they probably have a better immunity acquired "naturally" than they get from the "preventative". JMPO

Many years ago Cassie had one bout with KC, acquired at an Agility meet. The symptoms were sort of like what you described with Jack. It was definitely a mild case with her. Years later I brought in a foster Britt from a shelter who within 2 days had full-blown KC. Cassie did not get it....just one anecdote I thought I'd pass on :)
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby Barb Wright » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:58 am

Sounded like Jack was doing better with the last report....just wondering if he is still on the mend?
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Return to Health/Medical