Sore spot under chin

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Sore spot under chin

Postby Cindy » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:50 am

Last week I noticed this reddish scrape under Pippa's chin and I assumed she fell racing down a steep hill. It was kind of oozing/watery so I wiped it up and put some neosporin on it. A few days later there was a scab so I figured it was on it's way to healing. But then next day the scab was gone and the area seemed to increase in size. Now it's about the size of a nickle and very tender. She did NOT like me applying neosporin or Vetericyn to the area!! It doesn't seem to bother her otherwise - no itching or rubbing at it. She doesn't drink or eat from plastic bowls either. Years ago one of our dogs had a similar kind of sore but it was on top of her nose. Started out looking like she scraped it but it rapidly increased in size. I believe it was some sort of fungus or bacteria she picked up from rooting around in the dirt. I don't know if this is the same thing or not and definitely NOT in the same place. Your thoughts??? A vet visit or give it more time???
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Re: Sore spot under chin

Postby Barb Wright » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:19 pm

Hmmmmm.....I think I'd wait to see if it scabs over again. She might have knocked the earlier scab off and so the new skin is tender. If it is not still oozing clear liquid (serum) then it won't scab again so perhaps the seal is complete and it's just that the new skin needs to toughen up a bit. However, if the redness continues to spread.....I'd measure it to make sure.......then it may be something fungal or bacterial that needs serious attention. Think I'd give it a couple days to see what happens. Sorta just guessing here.....
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby Cindy » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:09 pm

Interesting ... tonight there appears to be a slight scab over part of it but the entire area seems to be a little larger. I'm going to measure (great idea) right now!
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby Barb Wright » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:59 am

How's it going with the sore spot on Pippa?
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby Cindy » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:39 pm

Thanks for checking in ... the spot it completely scabbed over and slowly but surely getting smaller. I think it's just taking a while to heal because it's in a place that gets rubbed alot. She's either resting her chin when sleeping, digging around in the dirt and woods, etc. It really doesn't bother her at all so I'm just giving it time.
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Return to Health/Medical